The 90 Minute Boil: Your Personal Experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
The 60 vs. 90 minute boil has been debated probably ever since wort was first boiled. I know there are a number of threads on here and all over the internet debating this very topic, but they all lack mostly one thing: first hand personal experiences.

Their are a few good reasons for a 90 minute boil but i'm really talking about the one compelling reason everyone says you need to do a 90 minute boil for lighter grains especially pilsner malt -- DMS. At least boiling off DMS precursors. But times are changing just like our brewing ingredients. Our knowledge expands and our techniques get tweaked. What are your personal experiences boiling for only 60 minutes using light colored grains especially pilsner malt?

I haven't done a double-blind experiment, so there's the bias of knowing, but I think that the longer boil gives more layered, complex flavors.

I do 90 minute boils on many brews, and definitely on all brews that have a high percentage of Pilsner malt. I haven't done side by side comparisons between otherwise identical recipes, but am satisfied with the results.

Try it both ways, see what works best for you. I try not to get too preoccupied with what others *think* works best, but rather what works best for me.

Edit: I *have* experienced DMS in Pilsner-heavy brews before, and it's not an experience I'd like to repeat. Yuck.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've only been brewing for 2 years, and only been all grain for 1, but I have only done 60 minute boils and nobody has ever detected DMS in any of my beers.

I've brewed over 160 batches of beer and have done a 90 minute boil twice...I hated it both times!

And no one has ever detected unusually high amounts of DMS...

Do y'all mash longer?? 60 min vs 90 min. Does that have an effect???

as long as you have complete conversion the 90 min is excessive. with the modern modified malts 60 min. is plenty. To be honest you probably could get away with a 30 min. mash with today's malts, but I have never tested this theory.

The 60 vs. 90 minute boil has been debated probably ever since wort was first boiled. I know there are a number of threads on here and all over the internet debating this very topic, but they all lack mostly one thing: first hand personal experiences.

Their are a few good reasons for a 90 minute boil but i'm really talking about the one compelling reason everyone says you need to do a 90 minute boil for lighter grains especially pilsner malt -- DMS. At least boiling off DMS precursors. But times are changing just like our brewing ingredients. Our knowledge expands and our techniques get tweaked. What are your personal experiences boiling for only 60 minutes using light colored grains especially pilsner malt?
I've done both and have not noticed anything difference between the two except for perhaps some slight caramelization with the 90 minute boil. For what it is worth, I have yet to use pilsner malt, and don't see myself ever, either. I also do not brew low-gravity beers; so as long as the OG is medium-to-high, the kettle is uncovered, and the boil is vigorous enough to lend at a minimum 8% loss to vapor, DMS levels should remain at a "reasonable" level.

Keep in mind that some DMS is a part of the lager profile.

A longer boil can also raise a thin wort to its target SG.

I haven't done a double-blind experiment, so there's the bias of knowing, but I think that the longer boil gives more layered, complex flavors.
Caramelization and perhaps Maillard reactions, which can create hundreds of individual flavors depending on length of reaction time. However, I am not sure how much of this is going down at 90 minutes, but surely more than with a 60 minute boil it is happening. Keep in mind that caramelization and the "browning" Maillard reactions are two different things.

Do y'all mash longer?? 60 min vs 90 min. Does that have an effect???
Yes. I have been doing 100% step-mashes over the last few years including triple decoctions (which can turn a 60 minute mash into a four hour event).

as long as you have complete conversion the 90 min is excessive. with the modern modified malts 60 min. is plenty. To be honest you probably could get away with a 30 min. mash with today's malts, but I have never tested this theory.
Perhaps this is a topic deserving of its own thread, but...

...whenever a debate over brewing technique arises the concept of "todays well modified modern malts" invariably comes up. For what it is worth, modern well-modified malts go back at least four decades. What has changed is the amount of specialty malts that have risen since, allowing [home]brewers to shorten the amount of time need spent per batch.

There are members of this forum who claim they get great results with only a 30 minute mash, but did you mean a 30 minute boil?

I recently brewed a IIPA and I boiled for 90 minutes. The main reason for this was to increase my sparge volume since I batch sparge and had about 30lbs of grain in the mash tun. I boiled for 30 minutes and started my hop additions at 60. HOWEVER... at the end, I realized that I miscalculated my boil volume and was left with almost 1gal extra 11vs10gal. So in the end I guess I made an IPA instead of a IIPA. Should have been 1.095, was 1.073.

I guess what i'm trying to tell you all is to make sure you calculate ACCURATELY for the extra 30 min boil. :mad:

With the coming hop shortage, you will all be doing 90 minute boils to get the extra hop utilization.

FWIW, I do a 15 minute pre boil in addition to a 90 minute boil on all brews. I like to put as little hops in the brew kettle as possible when possible, as this means less hops to absorb wort and results in a little more finished beer.

The longer boil also allows for hitting higher OG's. This is all in addition to boiling off any off flavors, though that is mainly for Pils malts.

The pro brewers that I know have all preached 90 minute boils to me as well.

I just did a zero boil berliner weisse that was full of dms. After about two months it aged out, and the beer should be ready by August. This was my first time boiling less than 90 minutes using pils malt.

I've heard some do 90 minute boils for all beers. Besides a little more concentration, I've never understood why.

Some great feedback here. I've been brewing monthly for a bout 2.5 years now have only done a 90 minute boil a couple times with pilsner malt. I brewed a German helles style beer and both a 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil with Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops recipe. I'm brewing both a helles and Oktoberfest beer this month. I'm contemplating doing a 90 minute boil on one and a 60 minute boil on the other. The only difference between the two beers is basically the larger amount of munich and vienna in the Oktoberfest, water and fermentation will be the same. Both will get a single decoction mash.

I pretty consistently do 90 minute boil. Only because I do thinner mashes and I prefer the extra time for cleanup and bottling.

I don't set my timer for 60 until all foam is gone from the hot break are gone. Which is probably a 80-90 minute boil. I also step mash. I mash out when an iodine test and 3 identical refractometer checks agree it's done. 60-90 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back