That biscuit/bread flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
So I can't quite find the right answer to my question by normal means (google, HBT search etc) - But I want to make a light beer (style TBD) that has a a bread-like, or what I like to call biscuit flavor. I have seen biscuit malt but have never seen it in the recipes I have stumbled upon. Do people have any opinion on this malt/grain or any other suggestions on what malt I could use to get the bread-biscuit flavors?:confused::confused:

Thanks!

So I can't quite find the right answer to my question by normal means (google, HBT search etc) - But I want to make a light beer (style TBD) that has a a bread-like, or what I like to call biscuit flavor. I have seen biscuit malt but have never seen it in the recipes I have stumbled upon. Do people have any opinion on this malt/grain or any other suggestions on what malt I could use to get the bread-biscuit flavors?:confused::confused:

Thanks!

Biscuit malt is similar to Victory malt, in fact many feel as if they are interchangeable. The profile this malt imparts is described as bready or cracker like. Biscuit or Victory malt is used in a supporting role which may explain your difficulty in finding recipes focusing on this malt. In most cases, you'll only find a small percentage of biscuit or victory in a normal recipe.

Just type biscuit malt in the search bar here on HBT and you'll find threads including recipes that include biscuit malt.

Here is a quick example:

biscuit is a specialty malt. it's not really meant to be a main ingredient so much as something you fine tune with. if you want to play with biscuit i would recommend a low gravity mild with up to 1# of biscuit.

this malt is used to round out malty beers and make low gravity beers seem bigger. if you use it in an IPA use sparingly if at all. generally this stuff doesn't play well with higher gravity beers unless used in small quantities. i'd figure biscuit to be about 10% of any grist. maltsters say you can go up to 25% but i wouldn't go all in until you have first hand experience with it.

here's a brown ale that i cut down to a mild.

8# marris otter
10oz biscuit
8oz C60
8oz C80
8oz chocolate malt (english if you can get it)

mash in 1qt/lb of strike water @ 150F for 90 minutes. boil for 60 minutes

0.5oz Fuggles (5.2%) @ 60
0.5oz Fuggles (5.2%) @ 20

ferment with any well attenuating english strain. i use wlp007 (whitbread dry). you could probably use notty for simplicity. also, you can use any english hop or other low AA hop. that's why i put the AA content in.

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
IBU: 14
ABV: 4.3%

I avoid these flavors like the plague- confirm that the main culprits are biscuit, victory, and Vienna. Munich and wheat can also impart bread/dough flavor. To each his own on flavors, if you are up for lagering then the Vienna lager style seems like the target you are shooting for. I like this website for malt flavors: http://www.winning-homebrew.com/malts.html

A little bit of biscuit or Victory will, believe it or not, give biscuit aroma.

Biscuit Malt
Victory Malt
Munich Malt (gets grainy (IMO) if using a large percentage)
Vienna
Melanoiden Malt (use sparingly)

I wonder if biscuit isn't quite right for a light beer. Maybe that's why you don't see it in the recipes you're looking at.

Thanks for the suggestions bros! I have used vienna before but not found that flavor very intense. Any limits on % you'd put into a batch?

But seriously, Vienna, Munich, and dark Munich give a bready taste when used in sufficient amounts. They are base malts, not specialty malts, so look to use them in pounds, not ounces. I LOVE Vienna, and use it in almost everything (it's especially awesome in APAs and IPAs for some additional malt backbone).
I just made a Low O2 amber Kellerbier with 35% Vienna and 17% dark munich (the rest is mostly Pils malt) and it tastes and smells like fresh toast. It's glorious.

I really like Belgian ( Dingemans ) Biscuit Malt and do use a bit in specialty IPAs, amber/reds, dark belgians, etc.

Victory ( American ) imparts a rather nutty flavour, which I would not put in the same category as Biscuit Malt. Maybe interchangeable in smaller amounts, but will not be interchangeable when using more than 5%.

Latest posts

Back