Texas Hops in Drums Storage for Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tealio

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I did look some for answers to this but didn't see much.

My first year hop plants are done for and I'm about to clip the dead bines off.

Wondering since we don't have too bad a winter here in Dallas, should I do anything else after clipping them?

Maybe dress the drums with some manure or something?

Also, do I need to water them over the winter?

Thanks!

Here is a shot of them when they were prime, I was very happy to get 2 oz dried from them after a hot first year in Dallas, TX.

img1883fi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img1956fu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm on the other side of the metromess and planted rhizomes a few weeks ago.

I put mine in the ground. Soil prep was to til it up and mix in some Happy Gro composted cow manure. The cheap stuff form Lowes. I mulched over the row with about an inch and a half of Texas Native hardwood mulch, again the cheap stuff from Lowes. I plan to keep the soil watered enough to not dry out. Those are live rhizomes. I figure they should be kept from dying of thirst.

What variety did you grow? I've Cascade and New Port. This is my first go at it, you'll probably help me more than I you.

I grew Cascade and Centennial. Didn't get much from the Centennial first year, but got almost a whole zip lock gallon bag wet which equaled about 2 oz dried and vacuum sealed. Just used the whole year in a dry hop pale ale.

Latest posts

Back