Temps for wlp007 in my ris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
i made my ris yesterday using 007 as I have done for my previous versions of this beer but due to the cold temps I chilled the wort to 62 but during transfer the fermometer on csrboy read 59-60 by the time I got it in the basement. So it's rose up to 64 now 24 hrs later and bubbling away but with this beer being 1.124 I'm leery it won't hit the fg at these temps. Now usually 007 for me is very violent and always attenuated well with crazy blowoff but I make it in sept/oct so my basement temps are higher and it helps push the ferm temps up into the 68-70 deg area. Should I just let this go and see if it rises in temp more since it prob got off to a slow start due to the lower pitching temp. I made a 3 stepped starter from a fresh pack of yeast so I know I have enough as I used a good pitch calculator. I can throw a heat pad on it to push it up a little faster. I just wanna make sure I get to my projected 1.033 fg

I wouldn't let it go much below 64. Hopefully it will warm itself up a bit, since that yeast tends to drop like a rock at cooler temps. I love 007---it's definitely a beast of an english yeast. I currently have a 1.05 IPA pushing 68° in a very cold cabinet (probably mid-50's) with 007. I bet you'll be fine as it ramps up in that super high gravity wort.

With that big of a beer I’d keep it below 64 for a decent amount of time than ramp it up. If you start warming it too soon you’ll probably get lots of fusels. That fermentation will most likely generate a lot of heat on its own. If you made a huge starter you shouldn’t have a problem hitting FG. Did you aerate a ton? Yeast nutrient? I believe some recommend aerating again after a certain time period but that depends on lag time, generally before any decent krausen appears.

So just to update it started at 62 then hit 64 by day two, 66 by day 3 then 70 by day 4 where it sat for 36 hrs then started to drop so I moved the carboy to where it's now sitting at 70-72 deg to finish out and have the yeast clean up.

So just to update it started at 62 then hit 64 by day two, 66 by day 3 then 70 by day 4 where it sat for 36 hrs then started to drop so I moved the carboy to where it's now sitting at 70-72 deg to finish out and have the yeast clean up.
Sounds like a great fermentation! You'll probably have a few complimentary esters in there without many fusels.

So took my first gravity reading after two weeks and it sitting at 70-72 deg for a week with zero airlock activity and it finished at 1.033 projected was 1.030 so I'll take it that 007 did its job again and just chewed through this ris with no problem.

Back