Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen27

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pre-wired Ranco Dual Stage Digital temp controller for just under $150. I then learned about another dual stage controller with more capability for a comparable price (Fermostat). Should I return the Ranco and get the Fermostat? Will they both last for the same number of years reliably? Please help.

Rancos aren't bad units. I think $150 is a bit steep, but do what you want. The STC1000+ units can be had preassembled for the $80 range and they're pretty slick. That said, I don't use a tenth of the features the STC1000+ have. The cooling and heating delay is very nifty though.

I'm looking at replacing my rancos with stc-1000s, fwiw.

But my rancos have been working reliably for several years. I have three single stage rancos at the moment.

I'd give some thought about whether or not you need or want the extra features that the Fermostat provides. If I remember correctly, it allows programming temperature ramping, which is nice if you're away from home or just don't want to have to change the temperature manually. For what it's worth, I bought my dual-stage Ranco before a number of the more automated solutions were available and it works really well.

The Ranco single and dual stage controllers work just fine, with the caveat that neither provides an anti-short-cycle delay function. This can be countered by solid probe placement and thermal isolation, using thermal mass to provide hysteresis such that short-cycling is precluded.

They are simple controllers, however, so if one interested in higher functionality, the various "STC-1000+" devices are hard to beat right now...

Cheers!

I have a Johnson 419 single stage I will be swapping out for an STC 1000. Nothing wrong with the 419, I just want/need dual temp control for cheap. I have the know-how to wire it up, so I dont feel I need to spend the 100+ on other controllers. Though those controllers are tried and true.

Back