Temperature control on fridge freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bway2141

Reaction score
Just got a second fridge with freezer on top and want to convert the fridge section to a fermentation chamber. Has anybody had success with putting the temperature controller on the fridge but maintaining freezing temperatures in the freezer section?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

One of these days I'll instrument the full size top-freezer fridge I use mostly for fermentation.
I guarantee you won't make ice in the freezer section when you're holding fermenting wort at ~65°F in the fridge section...

Cheers!

The reason is because the freezer actually provides the cold air for the fride, there is a baffle that regulates the amount if cold air from the freezer coils.

Really only the more expensive units have Independent freezer and refrigerator cooling evaporators.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You MIGHT be able to hack the fridge control system, but that would be a lot of work and may or may not work. Probably better to use that section to store hops or something that won't get ruined if it gets too warm or cold for a bit.

If using a freezer on top fridge you can't control the top and bottom compartments too well as there is only one eveaporator, what can be done is install an adjustable temp controller, but this will prevent the use of the freezer as a freezer as you will more than likely set the temperature well above freezing. My kegerator is a small freezer on top kenmore fridge, I set the freezer to the warmest setting and the fresh food setting to the coldest. Also I've taped up half of the vents in the freezer which forces more cooling air to the fridge section.

It's still a work in progress, at one time to keep lens from freezing and before I taped over the freezer air cents I drilled holes in the freezer floor. I had it insulate the beer lines to keep them from freezing.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403052908.135386.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1403052939.648791.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1403052957.255391.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back