Temp problems with S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I made a batch of the White House Honey Ale (2.5 gallons, all grain), and used S-04. I got it chilled to about 66 degrees, then moved it to the basement in a water bath with ice. This morning, it was back to 70 degrees (thick krausen, but not out of hand). I added ice to the water bath to bring it down.

Anyone have any idea of how bad the result might be at 70 degrees?

I made a batch of the White House Honey Ale (2.5 gallons, all grain), and used S-04. I got it chilled to about 66 degrees, then moved it to the basement in a water bath with ice. This morning, it was back to 70 degrees (thick krausen, but not out of hand). I added ice to the water bath to bring it down.

Anyone have any idea of how bad the result might be at 70 degrees?

Your probably fine. Safale 04 is pretty forgiving and has a high range if 72 degrees. Granted your internal wort temperature may have been a few degrees above 70 if you are using a temp strip on the outside if your fermenter, but since you got it down in less than 24 hours I'm assuming, I doubt you will have any noticeable off flavors. Especially with the hop presence in that particular recipe.

I agree. 70F isn't going to really push the limits of off flavors. Just try to keep it down to 66 at least because during the most active fermentation period, it's probably at 68-70F anyway.

When I first started brew, I didn't have anything to temp control my beer. I let it sit in my bedroom corner at room temp. 73F, so I know the fermentation temp got higher. I am sure it wasn't the best beer but I couldn't tell any ill effects, I am sure if I put it side by side a temp. controlled batch I would taste a difference but all turned out well for me.

I would not worry about it. I have had my beer spike to 80 plus for a day, due to lack of control, nothing bad happened, it all turned out.

Thanks! The plan was to keep it at 65ish. Hopefully I can get it down and keep it down.

I did a cream ale with US-05 a few weeks ago, and the water bath with ice dropped it to 60 pretty fast. I had to work with that one to try and regulate it - changing the amount of ice, taking it out of the water bath. I thought I had it figured out, but conditions always change.

I just checked, and after about an hour with more ice, it's down to 64-65. I'll hit up a dollar store today and get some reusable ice packs so I can rotate them in and out easily.

I can now answer this question myself. Letting S-04 get too hot gives pretty bad flavors. I had trouble keeping it under 70 in the beginning. It probably got up to 72 overnight before I could cool it back down. So the first few days, it got pretty hot.

It now has a very fruity taste, and because of the large amount of honey in the recipe, it's pretty thin, too. Those two things combine to make something that is really not drinkable.

are you going to invest in a fermentation chamber? worrying about temp and micromanaging it seems very annoying.

Sorry for your beer turning out crummy. Thank you for posting back with the out come to the temperature problem with this yeast. That is how we all learn.

I can now answer this question myself. Letting S-04 get too hot gives pretty bad flavors. I had trouble keeping it under 70 in the beginning. It probably got up to 72 overnight before I could cool it back down. So the first few days, it got pretty hot.

It now has a very fruity taste, and because of the large amount of honey in the recipe, it's pretty thin, too. Those two things combine to make something that is really not drinkable.

How much is a large amount of honey? Have you done a similar recipe with as much honey and good results?

Unless the wort temperature got quite a bit above 72 degrees, I would say the recipe contributed as much or more than the temperature.

That's a bummer. I wouldn't have expected it to turn out so bad with such a modest "high temp" (technically still in range for that strain), BUT I personally keep that strain pegged at 67F for the duration of fermentation. It's always worked well at 67, FWIW.

I just used S-04 for the first and second times this summer. Beforehand I searched the threads here and the consensus seemed to be to keep it in the low 60s. Some people noted that they found the fruitiness to be too much with fermentation temps even as low as 64°F. I set my chamber to 62°F (probe sandwiched between fermenter wall and insulation) and the fruitiness is pleasant. YMMV

How much is a large amount of honey? Have you done a similar recipe with as much honey and good results?

Unless the wort temperature got quite a bit above 72 degrees, I would say the recipe contributed as much or more than the temperature.

I've done this recipe before, and it was ok. I didn't love it, but other people did, so I thought I would make a batch again. The first time, I used US-05 because I had it on hand.

It has the equivalent of a pound of honey for a 5 gallon batch. This was a 3 gallon batch, but whatever that works out to. I have another recipe that I like that uses half that, and I've used similar and smaller amounts before as well. So I do think the recipe and amount of honey played a role in the outcome.

I've used S-04 before, and usually had decent results. But I have always been able to keep the temp under control. I was surprised by how hot this one got. I think it was the combination of really easily fermented wort (the honey) and the temp.

are you going to invest in a fermentation chamber? worrying about temp and micromanaging it seems very annoying.

It is very annoying. The chamber is underway already, but still waiting for a mini fridge to appear. I had it in the chamber with an ice bath. Soon I'll be trying to warm it up. I do ok with that, though.

It is very annoying. The chamber is underway already, but still waiting for a mini fridge to appear. I had it in the chamber with an ice bath. Soon I'll be trying to warm it up. I do ok with that, though.

A chamber makes things so much easier! I have mine in the basement which is heated so I am in cooling mode year round.

I would agree that your problems with the current brew are due to both recipe and temperature. The temperature alone does not seem to be that far out of line.

A simple, enduring way to chill your fermenter is to wrap it with a wet towel and put a fan on it. It is pretty easy to adjust with more water, or more breeze. Ice may be too radical, being too cold in places and too warm in others
Random question: Why brew 2.5 gal? That is only one case of beer! I quit doing five gal batches because the setup and cleanup are the same for ten gal and that is most of the work for a homebrewer. Now we do 20-24 gal per day if there are two of us brewing. The choke point is having only one mashtun and boil kettle (Sanke keggles).

A simple, enduring way to chill your fermenter is to wrap it with a wet towel and put a fan on it. It is pretty easy to adjust with more water, or more breeze. Ice may be too radical, being too cold in places and too warm in others

Random question: Why brew 2.5 gal? That is only one case of beer! I quit doing five gal batches because the setup and cleanup are the same for ten gal and that is most of the work for a homebrewer. Now we do 20-24 gal per day if there are two of us brewing. The choke point is having only one mashtun and boil kettle (Sanke keggles).

I used to do that swamp cooler method. For some reason the basement got crazy hot in the summer. First summer in this house.

Right now I have an Irish red in water bath with rotating ice packs. Looks to be ok at about 65, but still in the lag phase.

I like smaller batches. It means I brew more often. My beer fridge won't hold 5 gallon kegs and still have a shelf for bottles, so for now, 2.5 to 3 gallons works.

Latest posts

Back