Temp or Time controller in one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickH

Reaction score
Ok, so I am planning a brew stand with natural gas and wanted to have a controller that could do two things. Keep a relay on until it hit temp then turn off and stay off, or keep the relay on for a specific amount of time. For the moment I wanted to just have a simple solenoid so that it would basically keep it from going too long. Could a normal PID do this? the main thing I do not want is for it to reopen the relay after that first time because I will not have a pilot light. Any idea's?

So my google-fu was weak when posting. I am finding PID's that allow both. Though I cannot tell if they can be set to shutoff once reached only.

You could use the controller, a dpdt ice cube relay, and a start button. You would have to push the start button to energize the relay, then the controller would keep it powered until it hit temp. When the temp dropped, it would send power again, but wouldn't actually operate the relay until you pushed the start button.

Back