Temp control after the first few days of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KepowOb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've seen it referenced a number of times that, once the initial fermentation is done, keeping the temperatures down isn't as important.

My question is, how high can temps get? I have a batch fermenting right now in a swamp cooler, sitting at 68F. The room it's in hovers around 78-80 pretty constantly. I'd like to have multiple batches fermenting, and while I'd love to get some proper temp control, it's out of the question for the time being.

Should I simply wait till it's reached it's FG and then bottle is instead of screwing around, or could I take it out of the swamp cooler after 5-10 days and let it get up to 80, leaving it in for another two weeks, while I get my next batch going?

I don't think letting it get up to 80 will hurt. Just make sure your beer is finished fermenting or nearly so.

I do it all the time... though my beer doesn't get above 75 in the basement. 3 to 7 days or more at 65ish then I let it free rise once the airlock slows way down or I'm within a few points of my fg.

SNIP

take it out of the swamp cooler after 5-10 days and let it get up to 80, leaving it in for another two weeks, while I get my next batch going?

That is what I would do and have done before. Once they reached FG I took them it of the swamp cooler and put it in a closet for a couple of weeks. They were all just fine and tasted great! One problem with bottling it before it reaches FG is that you're going to end up with a bunch of bottle bombs.

Fantastic, thanks guys :).

And yeah, I wouldn't bottle before FG is reached... I've heard enough horror stories (and seen enough pictures) to learn from others mistakes on that one.

Ugh...I dunno high 70's low 80's is higher than I want any of my beer to sit at, bulk aging, bottled, kegged ect.

Id brew with the seasons if I were you and try to keep all my beer refrigerated in July and August, or whenever you cant keep the room temp below 75.

Your other option is to brew with saison or belgian yeast in the hot months. A lot of the ferm temp schedules have them ramping up to the high 70's, perhaps they are better equipped to handle the high temp.

Your brewing, or temp situation has to give..IMO its an untenable situation.

you won't create any off-flavors from doing so, but extended time at higher temps can reduce shelf life

you won't create any off-flavors from doing so, but extended time at higher temps can reduce shelf life

The longest I'd have one sit at higher temps would be 2-3 weeks... and I don't plan on storing them for prolonged periods.

The main reason I'm even looking into this at the time being is because we'll be having a party at my place mid-october and I'd like to have a few different batches ready at the same time, more or less... so I don't think they'll have too long a shelf-life :tank:

Ugh...I dunno high 70's low 80's is higher than I want any of my beer to sit at, bulk aging, bottled, kegged ect.

Your brewing, or temp situation has to give..IMO its an untenable situation.

I agree that it's not a great situation at all. I'm making due for the time being though. I might make one of the two batches a saison, it's far from a bad idea :). By next summer I'll have probably got around to having proper temp control.

I honestly didn't realize how hot my basement gets in the summer until I had to start worrying about all this stuff, hahah.

Though xpertskir doesn't say why he/she feels that way.

Why not look at the yeast package and find optimal temp and see how far out you'll be?

That wouldn't hurt. Even though its maybe a few degrees to high (80F)

If you raise the temp the last third or quarter of the fermentation you'll kick the yeasties back into action and they'll clean up whatever mess they made during the start of fermentation, like diacetyl.

I dunno how long it takes for your fermentor to reach the ambient temperature, but if it takes a day that would be excellent. Then take a FG reading a day or two after this, if it's done its bottling time.

Back