Technique to add grain to strike water solo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,
I often brew alone and every time I have to add the grains to the strike water I am longing for an extra set of hands.

My current method is rest the bucket on the edge of the mash tun and with on hand and stir in the grains with the other. While this works its a pain in the @$$!

Does anyone have a good technique to pour grains slowing and also be able to stir in the grains as you go?

Thanks in advance!

I dump in about 1 lb at a time, then stir it in. So it's not continuous, but just dumping/stirring in small batches. Works well.

I have taken to using a wine whip fully submerged and on low speed in the mash tun. I then use a small pot to scoop out of the bucket I milled into, so I am not trying to handle a huge bucket. Drop the grains over where the whip is doing its thing. Has been working better then my hand stir, and trying to slowly dump the full bucket.

Mashing in is my least favorite part of brew day, simply due to the length and difficulty when solo, so I am interested to hear if anyone else has a better technique.

I use a Home Depot bucket and rest it on my shoulder. Then I tip it forward slowly to control the flow of grain while I stir with the other hand.

Edited to add: This is for 5 gallon batches and about 9-11 lbs of grain.

I brew solo every once and a while (10 gal batches) and just use the paddle in one hand and a 1 pound scoop in the other . I can usually dough-in 22 pounds of grain in 8-10 minutes ... might switch hands once or twice ;)

The wine whip is a good idea.

If you wanted to get creative, rig the grain mill above the mash tun with a small chute, then you could crush, and dough-in at the same time :)

I mill my grain into a 5 gallon bucket. I then add the strike water to my 10 gallon round cooler mash tun. I quickly dump the grains in using the bucket to catch most of the dust cloud by holding it in the top of the tun. I then stir it very well making sure that I break up all the dough balls.

IMO, as long as you don't have dough balls, there is no reason to add a little at a time. That just makes brew day longer.

I mill my grain into a 5 gallon bucket. I then add the strike water to my 10 gallon round cooler mash tun. I quickly dump the grains in using the bucket to catch most of the dust cloud by holding it in the top of the tun. I then stir it very well making sure that I break up all the dough balls.

IMO, as long as you don't have dough balls, there is no reason to add a little at a time. That just makes brew day longer.

This is my entire issue. I hate dough balls! I get them when i pour a little at a time and never want to dump all the grains in because I feel like i'd never get all the dough balls. I need some kind of foot pulley system where I press down on a peddle and the bucket comes up. I would love to have a way to dump and have two hands for stirring..

This is my entire issue. I hate dough balls! I get them when i pour a little at a time and never want to dump all the grains in because I feel like i'd never get all the dough balls. I need some kind of foot pulley system where I press down on a peddle and the bucket comes up. I would love to have a way to dump and have two hands for stirring..

I do get dough balls, but it never takes more than 10 minutes to stir everything up. 2 years ago I switched out my mash paddle for an 18" Stainless Steel whisk. It makes very quick work of the dough balls.

I find it easier to dump it all in then stir than to mess around with adding small amounts at a time.

If you had a tip rig that may be a different story.

usually I have two sets of hands but this last time, it was just me by myself. I ended up adding half my strike water to the mashtun, dumping the all the crushed grain in (slowly), then pouring the remaining crushed grain on top. I use a large wooden paddle to push any clumps down and mix mix mix. Shut the lid and wahlah.

Btw, I have brewed all but about 4 batches solo and have always just dumped all the grain in at once. It is just not worth it to me to mess around adding small amounts at a time. To me that is more difficult than the extra (maybe) stirring required by dumping it all in.

Underletting is the best idea.
My procedure is to dump it all in at once and begin rapidly stirring underneath the floating grain until its all mixed up.
I don't usually have dough balls and when I do they are small and fluffy (easy to break up).
I do this with 44#s of grain when brewing IIPA (15g).

Proper grain crush is paramount.

I mill straight into the MT, with the strike water already in there. I BIAB, so I used to mill into the bag then just lower it into the MT then stir.
When I brewed 3V, I'd mash in the first half, stir, then mash in the second half.

View attachment 1502850369871.jpg

Another way is to put your grain in a clean trashbag, like a 13 gal kitchen type or similar, and tie a knot in the top to close it. Then take a scissors and cut off a corner but only big enough such that the grain flows out slowly over time. Then just hold the bag up by the knot and stir with the other hand. Also if you keep the opening very close to the water surface it cuts down greatly on the dust.

Another way is to put your grain in a clean trashbag, like a 13 gal kitchen type or similar, and tie a knot in the top to close it. Then take a scissors and cut off a corner but only big enough such that the grain flows out slowly over time. Then just hold the bag up by the knot and stir with the other hand. Also if you keep the opening very close to the water surface it cuts down greatly on the dust.

This is a great idea! I am going to try it. I would say though you want the grains into the strike water AFAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a solid solution! No issue with chrome plating vs stainless?

I didn't see a stainless one, but I don't believe there are any safety issues with the chrome one. Durability might be a concern? I've just make to sure to rinse and dry when finished.

I just dump it all. It takes 5-10 minutes to stir it up and work out dough balls. I'd rather do that than add too slowly and let the temp be too high.

I like the half and half method though.

I'm guessing your probably not a believer in HSA. ;)

I run mine on max during chilling, probably going over 600 rpm. HSA aeration either doesn't exist on our scale our I'd make the best beers in the world if eliminated it. I love my beers but I'm leaning to the former...

Underletting is an amazing technique and IMHO should be the one recommended to all. It's simple and incredibly effective.

1. Crush directly into MLT. Alternatively crush into bucket then dump into MLT.

2. Fill with strike water from below. This also back flushes your false bottom.

3. When all the water is in, give a good stir to loosen the bed.

I think most would be shocked how few dough balls you get this way and it doesn't require 5 minutes of stirring to break them up because there are so few. It's mostly just mixing up the dense areas. It takes a few minutes to dough in but it takes 30 seconds of stirring to homogenize.

Can't say enough good things about the technique.

I dump it all in fast and give it a decent stir...maybe 2 min of stirring. I recirculate my mash and just don't seem to have dough ball issues. Also I mash at 1.5qt/lb maybe this helps.

I am also a dumper.

I mill into a 6 gallon bucket, fill my 52 quart Coleman with my strike water and just dump the whole bucket in. I move it a little to the left and right as I dump. Stir it up with the paddle. Never had any issue with dough balls.

I also mash at 1.5qt/lb

I have always just dumped all the grain in one swift motion and start stirring immediately for a few minutes. Don't make this into a huge effort trying to add the grain and stir at the same time.

Dough balls are only a problem if you don't break them up. Why go through hoops to avoid them from forming if it is so easy to just break them up?

A stainless steel mud mixer and cordless drill are my favorite non-essential tools. Great for dough in. Great for stirring wort when batch sparging. Great for stirring wort during the boil. Great for stirring and oxygenating while using an immersion chiller. HSA? A myth like so many other brewing boogeymen.

Omg already....I brewed a double batch on th road at my hunt club, fate would have it I forgot a mash paddle, it's not that difficult, I lopped a sturdy branch off a scrub oak and all was good.....just stir, if you have dough balls just stir again, not that difficult.

Omg already....I brewed a double batch on th road at my hunt club, fate would have it I forgot a mash paddle, it's not that difficult I looped a sturdy branch off a scrub oak and all was good.....just stir, if you have dough balls just stir again, not that difficult.

Dude, that batch is totally ruined now. Its a DUMPER FOR SURE.

Being literally single handed I mill my grains while the strike water heats to about 15°F above my target. I pump my strike water into my MLT, then use a large SS scoop to mash in. I generally put in 3-4 scoops then stir w/ a paddle. Once the bucket is manageable I pour in the grains.
I'm usually right on target temp wise.

I switched to underletting a year or two ago and wouldn't do it any other way now. It is easier, less splashing, no doughballs.

I switched to underletting a year or two ago and wouldn't do it any other way now. It is easier, less splashing, no doughballs.

How long does it take you to transfer the strike water from your HLT to your mash tun?

I am interested in trying it out but my brewstand geometry might make it a challenge. My HLT above my mash tun but not far. If I just let gravity feed I am guessing it might take quite a while to move all the strike water. My pumps are mounted far from the HLT though so I'd need to make a pretty long silicon line to get from HLT to pump but then easy enough to pump into MLT outlet.

But next problem will be switching lines. close the MLT outlet valve, disconnect the line from HLT to pump...move the line from pump outlet to pump inlet. Add line from pump outlet to MLT inlet. I see a fair amount of hot water on the floor (no big deal I brew in garage and hose down after brew day anyway.

But am wondering what the advantage of doing this is... My current system requires no line changes, just dough in, stir and turn the pump back on.

I believe I could literally not bother with the cursory swish around the mlt after underletting my strike volume.
Beyond that, in my case it's easier than any alternative I've tried, and it has the advantage of driving air up and out of the grist...

Cheers!

Back