tastybrew.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
Has anyone used the complete recipe calculator on tastybrew.com? It seems to me that it calculates the IBU much higher than I would have otherwise guessed. thoughts? E.g., I was trying to come up with an IPA recipe and got up to 65 IBUs after only adding 1 oz of Simcoe (60 mins) and 2 oz of saphir (30 & 10 mins).

What were the alpha percentages on the hops you used? That will affect ibu just like amount and addition time.
I've found rather widely different ibu calculations from various places. I think a black IPA I dis varied by 30+ from site to site.

I think the Simcoe was around 13% and the Saphir was around 4-6%. I went ahead and used my recipe, but because of my uncertainty of the IBU calculation, I do not know if I will have a hoppy pale ale or an IPA. We will see in about two weeks when it finishes carbing/conditioning.

It seems to me BS2 is about the same way. IBU's seem to shoot up too far imo for one lousy ounce of hop bittering addition.

Back