tastes like caca :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzgp

Reaction score
so I started my cider back in july, for about a month in the primary, and another in a secondary, and about 2 months in a bottle. i opened one up, and it taste horrible. it has an overpowering aroma of yeast. its semi sour tasting, but i expect ciders to be real dry.

im not giving up yet, but i have 2 questions:
it is very cloudy, at this point what are my options to clear it up, because im guessing there is a LOT of yeast still in solution

second, can i just re-bottle what i opened and expect it to be ok? im using 1L bottles, so it would be a lot to waste, and im pretty sure i didnt contaminate it, as i just poured into a glass to taste.

the Sept/Oct issue of Zymurgy has a great article about Cider making. It says to age all cider for a minimum of 6 months. for higher gravity ciders you want to age over a year. Based on that, you may just be tasting cider that is still green and in need of conditioning. I would continue to age for a few more months and taste then. As far as reusing what you poured in the glass - i wouldn't -- any unfermented sugars have been exposed to air and possible bacteria. I wouldn't risk it.

On September 5th I made a small batch of Papper's Light Draft Style Cider, 5 weeks later I took it to a party and it totally rocked. I made the same recipe this afternoon and I expect it will be ready by New Year's Eve. Maybe that minimum of 6 months goes for 5-6 gallon batches but for 1 1/2 or 2 gallon batches??

im not talking about saving what i pourted into the glass, but what i didnt pour into the glass. i only poured about an ounce into a glass, then resealed the bottle.

i am no expert, especially compared to people on this site, but i had a caca/piss batch once, (um... last week) too yeasty and too sweet. my attempt to cold crash and bottle with a lot of sugar left was not successful. so i opened the bottles, poured back to carboy, topped off with fresh, very sour, juice, hit it with sulfites. re-pitched yeast after 2 days. so far it's fine, fermentation picking up, i'm going to ferment down to dry. nothing to lose anyways, except use of that carboy when i could be making something new.
although point taken from a previous reply that you should probably age it and see what happens... i'm not sensible enough to play the long game

I found that different yeasts and different blends of apples tend to create more or less funk, depending on which and in which combination. Most of times it will age out and fruity aromas will come to the front. I found that ale yeasts (especially Nottingham) will sometimes throw out a lot of sulfur odour and a detectable amount of diacetyl even if fermented at cool temperatures, but that it goes completely away after four to six months of bulk aging. Apples grown on standard size trees tend to have less nitrogen than those grown on dwarf trees, so maybe this has something to do with it. Two ciders I've made with EC-1118 and fairly sharp and tannic apples were quite drinkable after very little aging. I think as with wine, there are a lot of factors that determine how early a cider will be drinkable. In your case, I would wait a few more months. A yeasty aroma usually means it's too young, in my experience.

Back