Taste test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
My lambic officially turned 1 year old today. My plan is to wait a few more months, and split the batch. Half will get bottled, and half will be racked on to sour cherries. Lambic and Kriek lambic. Anyway, I was wondering if I should taste it soon...or not? The pellicle has dropped off significantly, but there are these little white things that have me mildly concerned.
23JdgUf

Thoughts?

Yeah, true spontaneous ferments can take quite a while to be ready. You should taste it and see if your happy to bottle/rack or if you would prefer to give it more time.

My first lambic attempt is only 8 months in the fermentor so I'm only repeating what I've heard/read.

I would just be cautious about letting in oxygen if you don't have a way of flushing with co2. That's why I'm hoping the first time I taste mine I can bottle it.

I guess I could bring my CO2 tank over to it and have a stream of it going in while I take the airlock off? Maybe it's not worth it.

I guess I could bring my CO2 tank over to it and have a stream of it going in while I take the airlock off? Maybe it's not worth it.

Wouldn't hurt.

FWIW if those spots aren't growing fuzz, I wouldn't worry too much. I sometimes get a second, patchy pellicle on my sours.

You can take your sample, then use a section of tuning to purge the headspace with co2 right before you seal it up. Go ahead and give it a taste; you will want to see what flavor profile you are dealing with before you make any decisions on what to do with it.

So I tasted it, and I'm very happy with the result. My only complaint is that it could be a little more sour. Right now it's tasting a lot like a Brett beer. Anyway, I was careful to not let oxygen in. I had a constant stream of CO2 going in while I was messing with it. A few days after the taste test, the pellicle kind of came back. I think some oxygen must have gotten in anyway. I hope I haven't ruined it!

Back