Taste of bombers vs 12 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollBeerTide

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been addressed. I am noticing a distinct quality difference between 22 oz and 12 oz bottles. The bombers are consistently better. I've filled them first, I've filled them last, yet they still yield a better product. I'm even noticing it in commercial beers, too. Am I completely crazy, or is there some sort of explanation for this?

I have noticed that too. For awhile I thought it might be the ratio of residual starsan to beer. I know, I know, yeast eat it. But I still swear I can taste it.

I have no idea why, but my larger bottles are usually better.

Isn't bulk aging considered better than bottle aging? I don't know, thought I read that on here. If that's the case, then I would think the more beer you have in one container, the better it would age.

I have noticed it as well though. A local bar has Sierra Nevada Bombers on special on Friday, I usually get those. I do like them better than the 12 oz. bottles, but I just chalked it up to having more beer to like. I didn't really put two and two together until I read your post.

Noticed a difference too. Not better or worse, just different. Only set back to 22's is, it's harder to give away.

I have noticed all my brews are better in the bombers. There has to be an answer to this that is explainable.

What I dislike about putting my beer in bombers is either
1. I have to pour two glasses at once, or
2. pour one glass, put the bottle back down after disturbing the yeast in the bottom and let it lose co2 until I pour the next glass

I know, off topic. So I guess I haven't bottled enough with bombers to notice the difference in my homebrews.

Back