Taps exposed in a hot garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting some nice taps on my beer fridge in the garage. It gets hot out there, though, so I am worried about spoilage. It seems like some amount of beer at the end of the line will heat up to whatever temperature the tap itself is. Am I overthinking it?

I'm thinking about putting some nice taps on my beer fridge in the garage. It gets hot out there, though, so I am worried about spoilage. It seems like some amount of beer at the end of the line will heat up to whatever temperature the tap itself is. Am I overthinking it?

you are overthinking it a little. There will be some small amount of beer, maybe 0.1-0.3 oz, trapped in the tap (which could get warm) but it's also in thermal contact with the beer in the beer line which will be cold, assuming it's on the inside of the fridge/freezer. There will be some thermal gradient but the beer won't be as "hot" as your outside temperature. Say the freezer is set to 40F and your garage is at 100F, I would guess the first ounce or so of the pour may be 60F or so, with next few ounces at 40F.

It takes some time at warm temperatures for beer to go "bad", so if you are drinking your beer regularly you won't notice, I bet. You can always measure the temperature of the first little splash coming out of the tap too.

My keezer is in a hot garage as we speak. Since it's the first Summer I've had it - I shared your concerns. Has not been a problem so far at all. I do pull a few pints every night, however, so the beer keeps moving.

I actually get more worried about the compressor in the keezer. I'm not so sure being in that hot environment is good for it's longevity...

Good to hear. I guess I will have an excuse to "keep the beer moving."

My beer fridge is a normal household fridge that someone gave me. I am sure I am torturing it in the garage, but it's held up for more than a year so far.

I'm checking Craigslist for a commercial-grade fridge to replace it. One, more space and a big flat bottom. Two, fewer worries. A commercial unit is made to run in a hot area. (I have a commercial upright freezer, and it's a beast.)

Actually, from what I understand, a frige/freezer has more difficulties in cold weather. When I was buying houses, the home inspector declined to operate the AC when the ambient air temp was low ( below 40?)

I have in my garage which typically is over 100 in July and August.

The only issue I have is gnats which I take care of with some tap covers I bought off eBay. Nice tight fitting polyethylene ? Ones. Keeps the critters out. My tower isn't cooler either, the first oz is foamy but if I pull a full pint with a wetted, chilled glass I notice no ill effects.

Not an issue for me. I have 4 taps outside here in FL.

Just to add, if you use nice long shanks they'll act as a heat sink and keep the faucets cold. I think you'll be surprised at how cold they stay even in a hot garage.

Back