Taking Home Brewing to the Next Level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sollozzo

Reaction score
So almost everyone on this forum is passionate about home brewing. But has anyone ever made serious plans to build their own business around it?

I only recently began brewing. First mead, then beer. But I can already tell that this will AT LEAST be a hobby for the rest of my life.

However, I'm a full time business student at Syracuse University in Upstate NY. I'm on course to graduate next year with a B.S. in Accounting, and will definitely pursue a graduate degree, most likely an MBA with a focus in Finance.

Until now, it's been my plan to just seek a corporate job that pays well and provides me with opportunities for promotions in the future, etc.

Though I may still do that, I've always wanted to build a business of my own from the ground up. Ideally, this would be centered around a hobby of mine, and I don't exactly see myself buying a golf course or a ski resort. That being said, I predict that in a few years I'll have a desire to open a business centered around brewing craft beer. It might be a restaraunt that brews in house, or maybe an entire commercial brewery.

Has anyone every had a similar desire. Specifically, has anyone else actually tried pursuing this? What are the major challenges you faced?

I am actually in the process right now. Kansas is hell for it...but it's not exactly EASY anywhere. I am looking to start out with a 10 bbl system initially, progressing as it allows. I am hoping to be operating by August of 2015. Because my brother works for the son of Kansas' most notable liquor lawyer, I have an "in", but that doesn't mean I won't still have to deal with the TTB, and ABC. Look into New York's liquor laws and licensing, as well as federal levels. There's a thousand things more to producing alcohol of any type than running, for example, a t-shirt shop. Obviously.
For me though, as I move through the law side of it, I tell myself every day, "if it becomes a job instead of something fun that will hopefully be profitable, stop." If you're not having fun, you might as well work in a manufacturing facility for a bunch of micromanaging *****ebags.

Really good info there. Thanks for that reference!

So I'm 21 years old now. It looks like if I want this to become a reality by 25 I should get started on gathering info now.

First thing I should do is choose a general area to operate in. There's an Anheuser-Busch factory about 10 minutes from my home, in Baldwinsville, NY. Any thoughts on the negative side effects of opening near a major brewer? What about potential benefits of doing this?

Perhaps I should inquire about taking a tour of Anheuser-Busch factory sometime soon. Though their operation occurs on a much larger scale, I'm sure a lot could be learned by observing their workflow.

I am actually in the process right now. Kansas is hell for it...but it's not exactly EASY anywhere. I am looking to start out with a 10 bbl system initially, progressing as it allows. I am hoping to be operating by August of 2015. Because my brother works for the son of Kansas' most notable liquor lawyer, I have an "in", but that doesn't mean I won't still have to deal with the TTB, and ABC. Look into New York's liquor laws and licensing, as well as federal levels. There's a thousand things more to producing alcohol of any type than running, for example, a t-shirt shop. Obviously.
For me though, as I move through the law side of it, I tell myself every day, "if it becomes a job instead of something fun that will hopefully be profitable, stop." If you're not having fun, you might as well work in a manufacturing facility for a bunch of micromanaging *****ebags.

Thanks for this response.

There are undoubtedly a large number of legal obstacles to overcome. This is why I'm considering the possibility of starting with a restaraunt or pub with in-house brewing to start. I'm very familiar with the restaraunt business, as are my friends who might be interested in partnering up for this venture.

Starting with a restaraunt means having something to fall back on if brewing fails. Plus, it's the perfect asset for an aspiring brewer. You have a taste panel at your own bar.

Sollozzo said:
Thanks for this response.

There are undoubtedly a large number of legal obstacles to overcome. This is why I'm considering the possibility of starting with a restaraunt or pub with in-house brewing to start. I'm very familiar with the restaraunt business, as are my friends who might be interested in partnering up for this venture.

Starting with a restaraunt means having something to fall back on if brewing fails. Plus, it's the perfect asset for an aspiring brewer. You have a taste panel at your own bar.

Yep that's why I'm doing it. My folks, who are nearing retirement age are looking for something to be involved with. They were partners with another couple for some time in a local pizza restaurant before that couple took the money and vanished. Dad especially wants to get into it. I also have a couple friends (husband-my best friend of almost 20 years- and wife duo) who want to get heavily involved on the financial end.(rich is an understatement for their situation) I told them as they tried my last brew (their first from me) that their wealth would be accepted graciously. Haha.
All that aside, the whole thing is really about the fun.

Sollozzo said:
First thing I should do is choose a general area to operate in. There's an Anheuser-Busch factory about 10 minutes from my home, in Baldwinsville, NY. Any thoughts on the negative side effects of opening near a major brewer? What about potential benefits of doing this?

I'd say to look for a location that already has a pretty good market for craft brew but no LOCAL craft breweries. So say Baldwinsville has several restaurants and bars with Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, whatever (you know the "regional craft breweries) on tap. If so, that'd be a great place to try and introduce a local brewery. People won't see your beer and wonder what the heck that beer that isn't Bud, Miller, or Coors if they're already vaguely familiar with craft beer.

I'd say to look for a location that already has a pretty good market for craft brew but no LOCAL craft breweries. So say Baldwinsville has several restaurants and bars with Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, whatever (you know the "regional craft breweries) on tap. If so, that'd be a great place to try and introduce a local brewery. People won't see your beer and wonder what the heck that beer that isn't Bud, Miller, or Coors if they're already vaguely familiar with craft beer.

Yeah that's a great point. Since I still have another year before I graduate with a Bachelor of Science, I'm going to look for a part-time position that involves brewing. There's a restaraunt in downtown Syracuse that brews in-house. There are also some local breweries I could look in to. Anheuser-Busch is next to impossible when it comes to finding part-time work with no prior experience.

Hopefully I can find some work, and soak up all the information that I can about the process in the next year or two, all while doing my research on finding the ideal location, and all the laws/regulations that are associated with that location.

Outside of Syracuse there are several regional craft breweries to use ase resources. Down to the Southwest you have Ithaca and Southern Tier. Ommengang also is only about an hour away in Cooperstown to the Southeast.
You also have the utica area nearby... you can check out Matt Brewing company (Saranac, Brooklyn, Utica club) there.

Good luck!

Another thing to try is go and talk to a local or semi local craft brewer and see if they are willing to tell you what it took them to get started. Then you would have a better understanding what it takes to start a brewery in your state

Outside of Syracuse there are several regional craft breweries to use ase resources. Down to the Southwest you have Ithaca and Southern Tier. Ommengang also is only about an hour away in Cooperstown to the Southeast.
You also have the utica area nearby... you can check out Matt Brewing company (Saranac, Brooklyn, Utica club) there.

Good luck!

Gonna have to plan a few day trips this summer. I'll definitely reach out to some of these companies and try to organize a tour/meeting to gather some information. This will give me time to brew a few more batches and gain a more thorough understanding of the brewing process itself before constructing a list of questions to ask.

By the way, I think a good project to complete while I'm still in school is to build a larger home brewing system. As of right now I'm still doing this on the stove in the kitchen. From what I've gathered, gravity systems are the easiest and least expensive to construct. Do you think it's worth building a system? The only place I would have room to do it is in my garage, which means I would only be able to use it 5 or 6 months out of the year.

I'd highly recommend you go get a job at a craft brewery or brewpub to get a feel of what this is like before jumping I to it - volunteer if you have to. I've worked in the craft business and it was alot different than I thought as just a homebrewer/craft fan

I'd highly recommend you go get a job at a craft brewery or brewpub to get a feel of what this is like before jumping I to it - volunteer if you have to. I've worked in the craft business and it was alot different than I thought as just a homebrewer/craft fan

Already applied to a few places over night. I'm going to make some phone calls this week to follow up.

Also found a class that's offered at my school called Beverage Management Operations, which covers a lot of the laws involved with commercially producing, distributing, storing (etc) alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, with an emphasis on state-specific laws.

Sollozzo said:
Already applied to a few places over night. I'm going to make some phone calls this week to follow up.

Also found a class that's offered at my school called Beverage Management Operations, which covers a lot of the laws involved with commercially producing, distributing, storing (etc) alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, with an emphasis on state-specific laws.

Nice looks like you are off to a good start.

Even if you cannot find a job at such a business, try to find a nano or micro and volunteer to help just for the learning experience.

Know how to make a small fortune in the restaurant business?

Start out with a large fortune.

Even if you cannot find a job at such a business, try to find a nano or micro and volunteer to help just for the learning experience.

Know how to make a small fortune in the restaurant business?

Start out with a large fortune.

Hahaha I like that.

Another craft beer centered business is a LHBS.

It has a lot fewer regulations and requires a lot less start-up money.

It seems that upstate NY is THE place to start a brewpub/craft brewery. I live in Schenectady and there are articles is the Times Union describing the state and local officials' push for more alcohol related businesses. Tax breaks and incentives galore. There was just an article last week about how they are going to lower tax rates on hard cider to help the apple growers in the state.

Reading about how involved the government is in getting these kind of business to start up in this state really makes me think of some of the possibilities.

So almost everyone on this forum is passionate about home brewing. But has anyone ever made serious plans to build their own business around it?

I only recently began brewing. First mead, then beer. But I can already tell that this will AT LEAST be a hobby for the rest of my life.

However, I'm a full time business student at Syracuse University in Upstate NY. I'm on course to graduate next year with a B.S. in Accounting, and will definitely pursue a graduate degree, most likely an MBA with a focus in Finance.

Until now, it's been my plan to just seek a corporate job that pays well and provides me with opportunities for promotions in the future, etc.

Though I may still do that, I've always wanted to build a business of my own from the ground up. Ideally, this would be centered around a hobby of mine, and I don't exactly see myself buying a golf course or a ski resort. That being said, I predict that in a few years I'll have a desire to open a business centered around brewing craft beer. It might be a restaraunt that brews in house, or maybe an entire commercial brewery.

Has anyone every had a similar desire. Specifically, has anyone else actually tried pursuing this? What are the major challenges you faced?

Hey man, I live in Baldwinsville. We could use a micro brewery. That would be awesome

My LHBS guy got his start in an antique store. They rented him a portion of the building to sell some homebrew supplies and some craft beers. He eventually bought a building a few doors down from the antique store and expanded his selection. Within a year or two of having his freestanding HBS up and running he bought the building next door (an old firehouse) and that is now his brewery/bar. He has had a few local restaurants put his beers on tap as well as some restaurants in Richmond, VA. Maybe starting with a supply store is an option that can potentially provide finances and opportunity for opening your own brewery. Not to mention if you have a HBS you will already have some wholesale suppliers lined up. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back