Taking a dryhopping keg to serving temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I've got a noob kegging question that I can't find the answer for because I can't quite articulate it in a searchable phrase.

I have an keg of IPA at room temp (65 degrees), dry hopping and carbing at the same time. I have the gas set to about 30psi for my desired vol of carbonation.

When it's time to put it in my kegerator to chill, should I lower the psi to the amount it should be at 39 degrees (about 12 psi) or leave at 30 psi.

Is there is some sort of conversion of the PSI when the temp drops, or is the rate of PSI coming from the cO2 take at a constant at any temperature?

How long has it been carbing up at room temp? If it's been longer than a week, I'd purge the gas from the headspace and set it to 12 PSI when you move it to the fridge.

The change that occurs at different temps is the beers ability to absorb CO2. As the beer cools, it will more readily accept CO2 into solution. That's why 12 PSI will carb it at fridge temp and why you need ~30 PSI at room temp.

It's been 4 days at room temp dry hopping/carbing @ 30 psi. I was going to move it on day 5 to chill to serving temp.

I'll go ahead and dial it down to 12 and purge the keg like you recco'd.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back