TA, Brix, and Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
Should I do anything before pitching the yeast based on these readings?

I'm making 1 gallon of red muscadine wine. My hydrometer reading after crushing the grapes was 1.050, which I expected. The TA at this point was 5.5.

8 hours after adding 1.5 pounds of sugar I'm at 1.090 with a TA of 6.5. I expected a lower hydrometer reading with only 1.5 pounds of sugar. I wasn't sure what to expect of the TA, but 6.5 is a good number, right?

Last edited:
TA shouldn't increase by adding sugar, but the numbers are OK. If your test kit is adding drops of solution and watching for color change, it's hard to be accurate with red wine.

Sugar normally adds .046 per pound per gallon, so 1.5 lbs in .050 must should be about 1.119.

Yes, I've read that titration kits for red wine aren't perfect. I've had readings of 5.5, 6.5, and 7.0 within 12 hours.

Also after 12 hours, my hydromter is at 1.080 before pitching yeast, which I'm about to do.

I'm adding 1/2 tsp of Calcium Carbonate simply because I don't like wine with a bite. Hoping for something more mellow -- may be hard to accomplish with muscadines. Maybe with a little back-sweetening and 3 years of aging, it'll be okay.

Back