T-58 Temp Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Heya folks, I'm trying out T58 for the first time. I impulse bought it awhile ago and finally figure it's time to use it. I'm hoping to get a spicier flavor out of the yeast. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a temperature? I've sifted through some google and HBT searches and there seems to be some serious conflicting opinions. I figured if all else fails, I would start at about 64 and let it rise to about 70 in hopes and coaxing something flavorful out.

Good plan or bad plan?

A little while back I made a tripel with T58 fermented at 64, and it turned out to be a complete ester bomb. 1 data point. I might not be able to bring myself to try it again, but if I do I'm going to try starting colder.

I’ve used T-58 in a black saison. Looking at my notes i fermented at 65 degrees for 7 days and then raised temp to 75 to finish.

beer turned out great. Modeled my recipe to be something close to Goose Islands Pepe Nero but used T-58 to add the spice instead of pepper corns.

I’ve used T-58 in a black saison. Looking at my notes i fermented at 65 degrees for 7 days and then raised temp to 75 to finish.

beer turned out great. Modeled my recipe to be something close to Goose Islands Pepe Nero but used T-58 to add the spice instead of pepper corns.

That sounds similar to what I'm hoping to achieve. I pitched late last night and it already has a great Krausen to it, so it takes off quick enough. Course I'm still worried about it peetering out as early as I had read other folks have experienced.
How long were you at 75?

Nice! Thanks! I'm definitely hoping for that spicier flavor to come through. Hopefully it goes well and I can experiment with it a bit more in coming smaller batches, but I'm always tentative that first use.

I can't help but take a few sniffs of the airlock when I walk by the bmb when I'm in the basement and this thing smells amazing. It's been awhile since I used something other than us05, notty, and 1007. Reminds me of a hefeweizen ferment. I'd assume one could use this for that as well, in a pinch? I'm hoping my somewhat lhbs opens back up soon, but so far I'm a bit glad that I stocked up on some various dry yeasts to avoid shipping in the summer months.

Just bottled this brew this morning. Attenuated lower than I expected to about 1.008, which I'm very happy with. Crystal clear too. Yeast took off like a rocket, I kept it at about 64 for the first three days, then slowly started ramping it up and kept it at 70-71 for about a week. Then let it just come back down to ambient 65ish temperature. I got the spiciness to come through, which im also pretty happy with. Hops aren't popping as much as I had hoped for, but sometimes that comes through a bit more after couple weeks conditioning and carbonating.

In short, Thanks for the tips! Thus far, I think it was a win.

An update for any folks that might stumble onto this in the future.
I had read about poor attenuation on this yeast, but I definitely did not come across that whatsoever. I did ramp it up after the initial 3-4 days and keep it at 70 for a good week, so I imagine that helped it finish with a lower FG.
This beer is now nicely carbonated and an easy drinker. I love the spiciness that the yeast is bringing, but it does seem to be covering some hop flavors I had hoped to to poke out. I'm hoping that comes a bit more forward as time goes on, but even if it doesn't, this was a solid brew and very happy with this yeast choice. I kept a jar and plan on bumping up the abv and IBU for a bigger beer.

it does seem to be covering some hop flavors I had hoped to to poke out.

My experience is that it clearly biotransforms (some) hops - if you use it with something like Chinook it knocks total hop flavour down by maybe 20%, but you get more complex flavours and it pushes the grapefruit of Chinook towards more of a lime flavour.

Back