T-58 Stalled? Anyone have expierienc with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a beer with 9 lbs. of Marris Otter and 4 lbs. of Munich
I mashed at 158, I wanted it to be really malty.

The OG was 1.072 and I pitched 1 rehydrated packet of t-58
In 5 days in dropped to 1.032, 4 days later it was at 1.030 and thats as far as it went. I gave it 2 more weeks and it never moved. I swirled it a couple times during those 2 weeks.

So do I have a stuck fermentation, or because I mashed high could it be done?
It's higher then BeerSmith said it should finish, but it taste how I hoped.

That's like 40% attenuation. Not good :(.

I've not used T58 but I don't think its highly flocculant. Here's my general thoughts:

Imho....

Yeast stalls are rare. The problem is usually that the given yeast doesn't have anything left to eat.

Yeast stall due to excessive temp fluctuations that cause them to shut down and sediment out, primarily. Or due to severe stress from being overworked in high OG beers and in the presence of a lot of alcohol.

Its more common that fermentation is just done. The high FG being due to problems during the mash leaving a lot of complex sugars starches and proteins that the yeast don't want. High mash temp, pH being out of range lead to poor conversion.

Did you test for pH? Did you test for conversion? How confident in the actual mash temp were you? How sure are you that fermentation temps didn't vary much? These are things to dwell on.

The mash was consistant at 158 for the full hour and i have a ferm fridge with a temp control on it. It never got higher then 66 on the temp strip. I know the internal temp would be a little higher. However after active ferm., it stayed at 64 for 3 weeks.

Thank you for your insight, it's much appreciated.

Back