System upgrade!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRG

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my old system : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/trgs-steam-powered-1-3bbl-brewsystem-406071/

I got a bunch of flak for my steam tank. It worked great, but I knew its lifespan was relatively short. A fun experiment, if you will. But, we found that brewing 10 gallons at a time was not enough to keep up with demand. Keeping several family members' kegerators full was becoming a fulltime job.

Solution: increase capacity.

5DEoGabl.jpg

Hey! What are these guys doing in my freshly painted garage? And using my TIG welder?
KcRZxSCl.jpg

Oh. They built me a new brewstand? Sweet!
ZUOpzALl.jpg

Painted it, and put a shelf in? Even better. Did some plumbing myself, however.
yZQxxwsl.jpg

Oh wow, 400k BTU? Sure!
U041aF7l.jpg

Maybe I should open up some boxes?
fHoPxsSl.jpg

So shiny, I guess I will have to put 45# of grain into them!
CIewsizl.jpg

While I'm here, the control panel, in action on its inaugural brewday!
DJEsV3sl.jpg

And finally, the glamourous 'no I'm not naked in the reflection' shot.
cPumklQl.jpg
[/quote]

Batch #1 went quite well. However, the walls and sink cabinet got quite hot. Too hot for my comfort, so some heat shielding was necessary.
nhGYinPl.jpg

I would have loved to have stuck with 100% electric, but the subpanel in the shop was not up to the task of boiling ~28 gallons of wort. So, we opted to put the 3/4" gas line to use and build a direct-fire style RIMS system. The HLT is my old electric BK (capacity of about 22.5gallons). Both burners have standing pilots that I light using a electronic bbq igniter that has been wired up to the whole setup. The control panel uses 1 PID to SSR for the HLT, and another PID to control the mash burner gas valve. The gas control switch on the box has 3 positions: off, PID mash enable, and activate boil (which keeps the mash on as well). I'm quite happy with how this system has turned out!

Back