Sweetwater Goin' Coastal IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Saw some on the shelf today so it is back for a second season. I noted cloning speculation last year as folks tried to get reasonably close to the mother recipe.

Did anyone have any luck? The hop bill may be more complicated than we think but I figure on at least Mosaic and Citra-maybe Galaxy?.....probably others as well. I don't want to complicate the pineapple issue so I may just add a can of pineapple concentrate to the keg during the cold crash to keep secondary fermentation at bay.

Any advice on a reasonable clone?

I haven't had the beer you mentioned but I think any "base" IPA would make a good platform for the pineapple addition. Let me back up and say not just any old IPA base since you probably want a more "Juicy" balance to build on. Let's say the GMC profile of Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra you mentioned would be good. Keep your bittering low and focus on FO and whirlpool late additions. Fermenter and dry hop if you keg. Galaxy plays well with pineapple BTW.

BUT, the pineapple? Lots of discussion but I make mine simple. I just add frozen concentrate when kegging. I don't love extracts at all. Fruit in a bag is ok for some but not me. Try the concentrate route and you'll thank me by sending a sample beer. LOL.

I haven't had the beer you mentioned but I think any "base" IPA would make a good platform for the pineapple addition. Let me back up and say not just any old IPA base since you probably want a more "Juicy" balance to build on. Let's say the GMC profile of Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra you mentioned would be good. Keep your bittering low and focus on FO and whirlpool late additions. Fermenter and dry hop if you keg. Galaxy plays well with pineapple BTW.

BUT, the pineapple? Lots of discussion but I make mine simple. I just add frozen concentrate when kegging. I don't love extracts at all. Fruit in a bag is ok for some but not me. Try the concentrate route and you'll thank me by sending a sample beer. LOL.

Thank you friend. You seem to be describing the type of hop schedule and hop bill used in a New England IPA. Hummmm, I think this would work. Maybe I could infuse the NEIPA with pineapple concentrate when I keg at the same time I add my final dry hop into keg. Interesting. I just ordered some Galaxy pellet hops yesterday after finally finding some thanks to a couple of HBT members.

Love that Goin' Coastal IPA. Adding fruit horrifies me for some reason....Maybe because when I started brewing I said I would keep it simple and not do fruits. I usually don't like fruit of any kind in beer but have grown fond of pineapple IPA's and grapefruit IPA's.

http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/goin-coastal/

Slide into summer and step off the grid by Goin’ Coastal with this pineapple laced IPA. The bright aromas of the five citrus hop additions are accentuated by the tropical fruit of the pineapple – and just like those three day weekends, its finish is quick.

Golden copper in color, a full malt bill brings balance to this quaffable summer loving Catch and Release Seasonal.

Grains: 2-Row, Wheat, Premium English, Crystal

Hops: Columbus, Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings

Dry Hop: Cascade, Simcoe, Goldings, Centennial

ABV: 6.1% IBU’s: 50

Love that Goin' Coastal IPA. Adding fruit horrifies me for some reason....Maybe because when I started brewing I said I would keep it simple and not do fruits. I usually don't like fruit of any kind in beer but have grown fond of pineapple IPA's and grapefruit IPA's.

Please look for a new post I am preparing to make today...Monin Flavors https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=627393

Back