Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodesbrew

Reaction score
I have used Splenda to sweeten my cider after fermentation is completely done to avoid over carbonation in my bottles and had great success... Anybody else try this out?

Yep, the makingcider.com site uses xylitol which is just another non-fermentable sugar. I'll be bottling next week with the xylitol mix that they prescribe.

I've only made dry cider. I've been tempted to make a simple syrup and add it at serving time. Maybe a simple syrup of water and splenda, xylitol, or sugar in the glass? There's always bottle pasteurization, and kill/keg/force carbonate techniques to preserve natural sweetness.

How much do you generally use?

Following the directions from that site, with regards to xylitol, it is 3tbs per gallon. I used one cup for my 5 gallon batch. The xylitol that I got was branded "ideal" and it passed the licked finger test tasting very much like sugar. Not artificiallike.

Latest posts

Back