Sweet Stout - forgot to buy roasted malt/barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanian

Reaction score
So tomorrow I have to brew because I'm on a tight schedule for an event. I have 3 beers lined up for it already: ESB, Golden and English Pale. I wanted to brew a sweet stout to also have a nice dark beer for the event but I forgot to pick up some roasted barley. There is no way I can get a hold of any in the next few days so I was wondering what I could do. I have Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale and 1272 American Ale II. Could I still brew a Sweet Stout or should I maybe opt for a Robust Porter or something similar? As for malt I have Maris Otter and for specialty, chocolate, black, caramunich I and II, biscuit, aromatic, wheat and a bunch of others. Could I substitute the roasted with black, chocolate and caramunich? If not, maybe a coffee porter? The only thing I'm worried about is that this beer really needs to be good because it's for a festival I'm doing, so I don't want to take a risk experimenting if I might end up with a bad product. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :mug:

Yes, could easily do a porter with that. You could also try roasting some grain yourself, but if you want to avoid taking risks, that might not be a good bet!

I would say roasted barley is what makes a stout a stout. Leave it out and you've got a porter.

Whipped up a porter recipe and I might put in some coffee when I keg it but that's nothing to worry about now. I really wanted a milk stout but as you said, without the roasted barley it doesn't make sense. Thanks for the quick response!

When you do get some roasted barley you can cold steep it overnight, boil and chill it, and add it to the F V.

Back