Swedish Craft Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffey

Reaction score
In Sweden the next couple weeks. Any good craft beers/breweries I should check out while I'm here?

Will be in Stockholm and then driving up to the High Coast and staying in Kramfors for a week. Already have plans for a brewery tour of Dykes Brewery, but I'm betting there are some others I could check out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are some places in Stockholm that you can't miss:

Akkurat - a great bar/restaurant that has a massive collection of vintages. Quite unique.

Mikkeller Bar - 20 taps and a few bottles. Look for beer from Brekeriet, sours and wilds from Gothenburg. Garret Oliver thinks Brekeriet is one of the most interesting breweries in the world.

Nya Carnegiebryggeriet - a new brewery founded by one of Swedens macros in collaboration with Brooklyn Brewing. The beer is solid, nothing spectacular, but the restaurant is good, and it's a nice experience .

Systembolaget at Regeringsgatan - one of the bigger and better monopoly stores. Great wine selection.

Swedish craft beer is growing, but most breweries have a long way to go, especially when it comes to hoppy american styles. One of the few breweries that do this well is Pang Pang, a one man operation operating out of Hökarängen in Stockholm.

Pang Pang is available at Biljardpalatset at Hornsgatan, a very relaxed billiards place that have a good beer menu.

I haven't been to Kramfors in years, but i'd be surprised if there's anything interesting going on there beer wise. Beautiful landscspe though! If you're driving, make sure to take the coastal road.

I've probably forgotten a lot of stuff, but I'm sure someone else will chime in. Enjoy Sweden!

Thanks for the suggestions! Will try to hit up Mikkeller Bar next week!

I was there last year and didn't see any Mikkeller, but I was in a small town most of the time. I hope you like lagers (I don't like most).
Laws don't allow them to sell beers over 3.5% in Grocery stores, which was interesting

Got a nice tour of Dykes Brewery yesterday which is a Father/Son operation run out of their garage they've converted to a brewery. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405842682.057543.jpg

Then had a tasting of all their beers at a local brew pub. Their focus is on British style ales. All of which were some of the finest examples if had since visiting Britain twenty years ago.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405842824.902352.jpg

Wow, that sounds great! I haven't heard of them, better check them out...

Back