Swap Danstar Nottingham Ale for S-04 in Milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
I got a free extract kit on my last NB order... Chocolate Milk Stout. I am not a big stout drinker so not real familiar with the style and what works. I skipped ordering yeast because I thought I had 2 packets of s-04 on hand... nope all I have is Nottingham Ale and T-58... I know the T-58 is a no go(I got that for some warm weather brew experiments coming up) but will the Nottingham Ale fit this style okay?

Keep it cool during fermentation as Nottingham ferments fast and give off heat. When it ferments too fast it gives off flavors. I prefer my stouts to have plenty of time in the fermenter and plenty of time in the bottles so they smooth out the harsher flavors of the dark roasted grains.

Never used Notty in a stout. Only used Notty twice and when I used it - even when fermenting low - I did not like the beers. I will never use Notty again. I've done that kit several times and have used S-04 and WYeast 1098. Both worked out very well. I'd go with one of those - just buy new yeast if you can hold off on brew day. If not, good luck with the Notty - I know many have had better experiences with it than me.

Never used Notty in a stout. Only used Notty twice and when I used it - even when fermenting low - I did not like the beers. I will never use Notty again. I've done that kit several times and have used S-04 and WYeast 1098. Both worked out very well. I'd go with one of those - just buy new yeast if you can hold off on brew day. If not, good luck with the Notty - I know many have had better experiences with it than me.

What do you consider "fermenting low"? I think it ferments clean at 57 to 60.

I have use Nottingham a few times. It has produce beers as good as with any other yeast I have used. I ferment most all my ales in the mid sixties so that is not a problem for me. In fact the first beer I ever did used Notty. I let it rise into the mid 70s the first day. Then, noticing my mistake, on advice I lowered the temperature with a swamp cooler left it in primary for 2 weeks then did a secondary for about 3 weeks. The beer might not have tasted like it should have but it was quite good.

I have use Nottingham a few times. It has produce beers as good as with any other yeast I have used. I ferment most all my ales in the mid sixties so that is not a problem for me. In fact the first beer I ever did used Notty. I let it rise into the mid 70s the first day. Then, noticing my mistake, on advice I lowered the temperature with a swamp cooler left it in primary for 2 weeks then did a secondary for about 3 weeks. The beer might not have tasted like it should have but it was quite good.

Good question - for me, keeping it between 60-62 is "low." Anyway - maybe those NOtty beers I did were bad for other reasons (bad recipe, etc.) but they were certainly in the "do not repeat" category. I've had good luck a lot of other yeasts: 04, 05, Bry-97, Danstar Bell Saison, WYeast 1010, 1007 and 1098, 3711 and 1214.

I too have had good luck with 04, 05 Bry-97, WY1010 and WY3711 and a lot of others. I cannot attribute the yeast used to any of my beers that were not as good as the others.

Luckily, so far I have only had one that I don't drink, though I still have it in a keg for cooking. It was a very high gravity experiment and it stayed way too sweet. It obviously didn't involve Nottingham.

Just 1056 American Ale and T-58 on hand for other alternatives... maybe a packet of S-05... and the nearest brew store is a 250 mile round trip... I will give the Notty a try, the kit was free...

I stay as far away from S-04 as possible now. In the few times I've used it, I've always ended up with a "dirty sock" after-taste to my beers. Don't know how else to describe it, but it doesn't leave a smooth finish at all...WLP004 worked MUCH better for me in my stout.

Nottingham works very well in a stout snd I have used it several times. Make sure to rehydrate it before use and be prepared for a slow start. The longest I have gone before it took off was close to 30 hours.

Latest posts

Back