Swamp Cooler Monday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill9000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Always a good start to the week when your wake up to see you fermentation kicking and you get your swamp cooler working :)
IMG_0187.jpg
😀

Messy. I'm glad I figured out how to keep it all in the fermenter. But good that you had had a good krausen.

Any particulars you care to share? What is it, OG, yeast used and etc.

Is there no water in your swamp cooler? How do you keep the shirt wet?
I start out with a few inches of water and put a ~1/2 gallon ice block in the cooler twice a day. When I do this I pour some of the chilled water over the outside of the fermenter to wet the shirt. If I'm diligent about adding the ice block in the morning and evening, the shirt dries out some, but remains wet. Should I start with more water - maybe filling to halfway the height of the fermenter?

When I've used a swamp cooler, I added enough water for it to wick through the shirt through the day. I put a fan on it and used ice packs if I needed a bit more cooling. I would think your ice blocks melting would provide you with enough water.

Back