Supposed to use WLP500, have Wyeast 3787

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
What the title said, Making a clone of Dragonmead Final Absolution, guy at LHBS said its the same thing, reading the description of the yeasts im thinking maybe not so much.

Final Absolutions is a big tripple who's flavor seems to come heavily from letting the yeast do its thing. Should I just nix trying to do a clone and come up with something else since I already have a starter?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Is the original

I have 10lb of LME, light DME, 2lb total homemade candy and some D-90, I might just improvise.....

They are not the same strain.

Here is a link showing the yeast strains.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

500 is the same as 1214 which is the Chimay strain. 3787 is Westmalle.

500/1214 will still produce a nice beer. It just won't be a clone if you use 3787.

Since they are not the same strain I am guessing you will not make an exact clone. But I will say that from my experience with 3787 I think you'll be happy with the final product. I've used it twice (most recently with a tripel) and both times I think it has given the beer some really nice estery qualities very reminiscent of commercial high gravity belgian ales I've tried. The recipe you posted looks like a pretty classic tripel recipe and I think you'll have a tasty beer assuming you pitch the right amount of yeast and treat it right with regard to temperatures.

Thank you both for the response, I was bummed once I went through and read the yeast descriptors but honestly I dont overly care if its a true clone, as long as its a good belgian beer.

Think I'll actually go through with it with the 3787, then do it again with the WLP 500 just to get a better feel for what each yeast brings to the table. Man I love big Belgians.

Im gonna pitch at 65 for a day and then bring it up to 70-72 and just let it do what it does.

Back