Superior Pumps - they have vegetable oil in them??!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maierhof

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok - so I have been doing my homework on pumps the last few days and I own a Superior Pump model 91330 which is a 1/3 HP pump.

I called Superior and talked with Bart Riordan on the phone who works for them. After looking at their pedestal pumps which are rated to 180F - they just will not work for me (they are about 3' high and the motor is expsosed) After that he gave me some advice on how to give my utility pump a longer life.

I have to say that I am a happy camper now - because I learned that they run on VEGETABLE OIL!!! That is right - veg oil - like the kind in your kitchen pantry!

All this time I have been worried that if I blow an o-ring - would I be able to tell? Would it F up my kegs? Will the pump die if I have too hot of water in this thing? No need to worry about that now...

Below are his direct instructions on how to prolong your Superior Pump.
He said I should do this around 4-5 times a year.

"Hi John,

Thanks for the phone call this morning. It is always nice to hear form the folks who use our pumps and to talk about the many uses of them.
As I was saying, this pump is not rated or warranted for water temps above 120 degrees but doing some simple things can prolong the life of the pump. Changing the oil and inspecting and replacing the seals if necessary will help. Remember this pump, the 91330 holds 15 ounces of oil and the oil we use is vegetable oil, do not over fill it.
Here are some basic instructions for changing the oil and shaft seal in case it is needed.

Open the fill plug on the top of the pump and pour out the oil that is inside. The 91330 utility pump impeller is a standard left hand thread.
To replace the impeller, remove the base and lay the pump on its side with the impeller facing you. Using a mallet or screwdriver handle strike down on the right side of the impeller. (You may have to do this a couple of times.) This will break it free and spin it off.
Using a small screwdriver, pry the shaft seal out of the base and slide it off the shaft. Replace the seal and press it back into the shaft with your thumb or the small screwdriver.
Then screw the new impeller on the shaft until the shaft is also spinning, it will self-tighten as the pump runs. Replace the base and refill the pump with15 ounces of vegetable oil you are done.

Thanks again John and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions

Bart Riordan
[email protected]"

lol

Here is a pic of this monster:

92333.jpg

Back