Super long fermentation. Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashopis

Reaction score
Hey there.
I've got a batch that won't seem to stop fermenting. Here are the details.
NEIPA style. Wyeast 1318.
Dry hop on day 3 and again on day 7.
Brewed on a Sunday.
Next Morning (day 2) was bubbling nicely.
Day 3 - still bubbling
Day 4 slowing
Day 5 slowing.
Kept slowing down. Now on Day 10. Still Bubbling!!! The airlock bubbles once every 90-120 seconds.

My brews usually stop bubbling on day 5ish. The gas coming out of the airlock smells fine...like beer. There's no pellicle. Should I be worried?

I'm worried.
-Adam

Bubbles do not equal fermentation.

First question: what is the current gravity reading?
Has it remained stable for the last 3 days?

As for airlock Bubbles it only means gas is escaping. Your brew likely has gas in suspension. As it settles, some of the gas is released.

Bubbles do not equal fermentation.

First question: what is the current gravity reading?
Has it remained stable for the last 3 days?

As for airlock Bubbles it only means gas is escaping. Your brew likely has gas in suspension. As it settles, some of the gas is released.

Hey there,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a way of checking the gravity without a syphon and I'm afraid of letting O2 in. I usually keg on day 10 (which is today) but I'm hesitant because of the airlock activity.

For starters, 10 days is not super long at all. Also, don't put the beer on a schedule, let it tell you when it's ready. That said, I'm usually on a 2-week fermentation schedule for average strength beers, but NEIPA's can take longer due to the enzymes from the dry-hops kicking up fermentation again (hop creep).

For starters, 10 days is not super long at all. Also, don't put the beer on a schedule, let it tell you when it's ready. That said, I'm usually on a 2-week fermentation schedule for average strength beers, but NEIPA's can take longer due to the enzymes from the dry-hops kicking up fermentation again (hop creep).

Ok. Hanks for that. I shall stop panicking lol.

As said above the bubbling isn't a good way to tell if it's finished as the beer can degas over time after fermentation is complete.
Another way to tell without a way to take a gravity sample is to see if the krausen has fallen. If the beer is still at high krausen then it's probably not finished but if the krausen has fallen then you can assume it's close to finished. this will work if it's in a glass carboy but harder to tell if it's in a bucket. 14 days is a good rule of thumb to start at. Good luck!

Last NEIPA I did was the same. Still kept off gassing. Just monitored gravity a few extra days, verified it was stable and not changing any longer then transfered to a keg..

Back