Summer style Red wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d32h9

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I plan to make an american wheat ale, 5 Gal, and add orange zest, lemon zest, and coriander, to make it have a citrus aspect for summer. I also want to use some grains to give a reddish color.

My plan is to brew it as normal, using the extract method, then add all of the zest and coriander in a steeping bag right at flameout, and let it steep for about 15 minutes before removing it to cool the wort and transfer to the fermenter.

Has anyone done this with all three ingredients? i can find some orange flavored instructions, and some lemon and coriander, however not all three. I'm wondering how much of each to use for a 5Gal batch to get a good blend of citrus and not overpower the beer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I also understand that different types of oranges lend different effects, some bitter, some sweet. I'm looking for a good orange aroma, with a bit of sweetness added. Any suggestions on types of oranges? As well as how many oranges/lemons/coriander to add? Thanks a lot!

Back