Summer refresher (low ABV mead) need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a low ABV summer refresher (think lawnmower) type of mead.

Around 3 - 4 % ABV. very low final gravity and maybe a little ginger to add to the refreshing qualities. Slightly back sweetened.

Any advice in making something like this is very appreciated.

Ginger and citrus or mint and citrus flavours would all make great summer refreshers. You don't even need to specifically make it low ABV as you could use as a long drink mixing it down with a little lemonade or soda water over ice. Let me know if you do come up with any recipes though as I would also love to do this for this year!

I've got a few recipes for great hydromels that fall in the 6-7% Range. It's about 1.5 lbs per Gallon. If you wanted to go lower you could go 1 lb per gallon on them. You may however find that going below 1.5lb/gal really really lacks in the mouth-feel department. Recipes are on my blog, If you don't want to dig you can follow this link which goes through the 3 hydromels I have posted.

http://hivemindmead.blogspot.com/search/label/Hydromel

I have a lemon mead I have fallen in love with that may work.

1 gallon lemon mead

honey (to a gravity of 1.060) about 1.5 - 1.8 lb per gallon.
20 fl oz real lemon lemon juice
3/4 tsp earl grey black tea (loose leaf in the primary)
3 tsp yeast nutrient
Water to one gallon
Yeast (71b)

Half the lemon and nutrients go in up front with the honey and tea and the rest go in 3 days later. Stabilize and back sweeten to 1.020 once fermentation ends.

That gets you in the 8-9 ABV range but I have mixed this with juices and about 32fl oz will get you down to about 6%. You could take some ginger root, freeze/thaw, crush it and steep in water over a few days and blend that into this if you want the ginger in there.

Thanks for the help. This gives me a great place to start. As far as the mouthfeel I am looking for something akin to flavored water with a few carbs for energy and a little bit of alcohol for pain. I want to be able to "dig in the garden" all day long.

I'm considering something similar to this: a 7% ABV mead, leaving it dry, and bottle carbing it.

For a 5 gallon batch, I was thinking:
5lb honey
5lb peaches
1lb raisins
Lalvin 71B-1122

That should get me to an OG around 1.050.

Do you think it would end up too tasting too thin?

Peaches are pretty thin as a wine, the raisins may help a bit but being so low an ABV you may still be a little thin. An easy way to add body to peach wines is to add banana. 2 1/2 bananas mashed up in a little bit of water and thrown in primary can help.

That's a good idea. But I may want to share this one with some friends and relatives that are allergic to bananas.

So I'm thinking maybe adding a pound if dates. I've also added a pound of candied ginger.

This looks great. When I am out working in the yard in 90 degree weather the thinner the better as it seems more refreshing.

My only concern is that I do not like really dry mead, so I may need to back sweeten.

I finally got to making this tonight:
5lbs clover honey
10.4lb white peaches (weight before pitting and skinning)
1lb raisins
1lb prunes
12.4oz candied ginger.
Juice of 2 lemons
Water to 5.75 gallons
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient

I puréed everything, brought the temp up to 120F, and added 6 campden tablets before pouring it all I to the carboy.

I'll take a gravity reading and pitch the Lavin 71B tomorrow.

As is, I'm projecting 7% ABV. But I'll drop that with some top off water after racking.

Hit my anticipated OG right on: 1.059

image.jpg

Since you puréed and heated the batch I highly suggest getting some pectic enzyme tomorrow and adding at least 1 tsp per gallon about 12 hours before pitching yeast.

Yeast is already pitched.

I'm not worried about it. My goal is something like a lawnmower mead. If it has some pectic haze, it won't be the end of the world.

Back