Summer brewing/short fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I've read a couple places that its best to limit your time in the fermentor during the summer because of the challenge with keeping it under 75 degrees. 12-14 days was recommended.

I did a double IPA 12 days ago, racked to carboy about 5 days ago, and have kept the house at 74 or below since (except for last night when we lost power for 6-8 hours). When I racked, I dry hopped.

first question - when can I bottle? The gravity was down to 1.011 when I racked and the target it 1.010. So either its finished at 1.011, or if it drops further then it has to have hit the target gravity. At these temps, I'm sure the fermentation is over by now. The complication is the dry hops, some are still floating at the top of the carboy, but there is .75 inch of trub at the bottom. So can I bottle as is, or do I need to wait for the hops to clear - and how long?

second question - how important is temp control once in the bottles, and for how long in temp critical? We are going on vacation next w/e and the house won't be left at 74 while we are gone. I've had some bottles in long term storage for a couple years and thru a few weeks of 80-85 degree temps in the house and they didn't spoil or taste bad after - so it seems that temps are less critical once bottle stored. But does temp matter during the first couple weeks of bottle conditioning?

I'm sure there are subtle changes, but you really only need to control temperatures during the main part of fermentation. Letting it go to 80 after 2 weeks should not be a problem. Leave it where it is until you get back. The longer you leave it before bottling, the clearer it will be with less sediment in the bottle.

You have another .75" of trub in your secondary? That seems like a whole lot of trub!

Do you have a basement? It should stay below 75 down there. My house is always at 75 or above as my A/C can't make it any colder with the outside temps over 100 all the time. The fermentation seems to go find and the beer tastes awesome so I don't worry about it.

Yeah, its a high gravity brew, and of course the carboy has that ringed bottom so its just .75 in the ring - still surprised me though. Maybe its the extra hops sediment.

No basement here. And I had my last batch go bad - tastes sour like citrus kinda and its supposed to be a cream ale. Still not sure if it was infected or just a hot fermentation that left some serious off-flavors.

Latest posts

Back