Sulphur smelling fermentation??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmeBrewed

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help me with my troubles, Well I am a noobe I started brewing with a Mr.Beer I have now recently upgraded to a 5 gl brew kit and have tried my first BIG batch( I say big because compared to the Mr.Beer kit brew it is significantly bigger) brewing a Wildflower Wheat from the book Extreme Homebrewing on page 135, and I followed all instuctions, sanitized like a new born was coming home(I used this anology because I do have my newborn coming home today :D) and pitched the yeast and put in my closet, on the second day I went into the closet to check the temp and to check the airlock activity, there wasn't to much activity but a smell was present of rotten eggs(sulphur) I closed the closet and called the local brew store and they said not to throw away brew let it finish fermenting, I did use a liquid yeast which I never have and it did smell a bit weird, but anyway im on the fourth day and no smell at all Has this happened to anyone before?? thanks.

The smell will dissipate. Do not bottle or rack until its gone.
What are your temps? This is some what common with wheat yeasts especially the hefeweizen strains.

It should go away in a few weeks. If you bottle with the smell still present it will not go away.

Wow that was fast thanks guys.. Yes it was a Wheat Yeast 1010, and temps as of this morning are up and down from 68-70, the strong sulphur smell is gone or dormant as of now but when it was there I mean it was thereeeee.. wife almost made me dump it out but took her to eat and later on the smell was gone..Strange

Thanks H22lude now im starting to feel more at ease I almost dumped the batch glad I didn't..

Yeah your fine. It's perfectly normal for some types of yeast to do that. What kind of yeast did you use? I normally use Wyeast or White labs and you can get on their website to look up the yeast that you used. On their websites it will tell you which yeasts are most likely to produce a sulphur like smell during fermentation under the description of the yeast.

Thanks Ryan yea I used the wyeast 1010 and after reviewing it it seems many people have also expirienced the same effects #cheers

Latest posts

Back