Suggestions for Golden Naked Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
I bought a lb of these on a whim with my last order and now I'm trying to find something to put them in. As I understand they are an oat crystal malt, so I was thinking about taking a nut brown recipe and replacing some or all of the crystal with these. My second option is to try them in a pale ale to maybe learn the flavor a bit better. My only concern is that the "berry" thing they supposedly have will be too sweet, I don't really care for much sweetness in my pale ales.

Anyone with experience who can give some advice on these 2 ideas? Or even better, have a recipe they want to share?

I LOVE golden naked oats! They are more of a "toasty" or "nutty" flavor, like victory malt, than sweet.

I use them in APAs, IPAs, nut browns, American ambers, etc. They are definitely NOT a replace for crystal malt, though in my opinion. They'd replace biscuit malt or victory malt or something like that.

Ok, that's great info. I think I might try an APA after all. I want something pretty simple so I can taste the oats, do you think this grainbill will work?

Maris Otter 91.0 %
Oats, Golden Naked 5.0 %
Crystal 40, 2-Row 4.0 %

I'll figure out the hops and yeast later, though yeast will probably be Pacman as I have some stored that I need to use up.
Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: oops, corrected the math

Awesome, I'm going to try it - thanks again.
BTW your Pack is looking pretty good! I'm a currently disgusted Steeler fan, but any time somebody takes down the Pats it's a win for me.
:D

I had the same question about GNO. I think I've seen saison recipes with them used as well.

Just wanted to report back, this one turned out very nice. Ended up using 1/2 lb for 7% in a 3 gal batch, thumbs up on the naked oats! I see what you are saying with the victory comparison, certainly not sweet and I don't think I perceive any "berry". Then again as many beers tend to do despite my best intentions the APA turned into an IPA , so the flavor might be a little masked by the hops. I think I'm going to use the other half lb next in my house amber in place of victory.
Thanks for the advice
:mug:

I love them. I second Yooper's description. I use 5-8% of them in pretty much every style of ale I brew now. I've never picked up the berry descriptor given for them, more nutty to me.

Latest posts

Back