Suggestions for DIY improvements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterOfNone

Reaction score
I'm just beginning to acquire the proper equipment to upgrade my system to proper all-grain brewing.

I've researched and read extensively and have chosen to convert a rectangular beverage cooler into a mash tun. I've also came across a larger brew kettle. This brings up two questions for those experienced with similar systems:

1) what type of filtering system do you prefer? Manifold or some version of a false bottom? I likely will be fly sparging.

2) Is putting a ball valve on an aluminum pot as simple as it appears?

colbert-popcorn.gif

Cheers! ;)

If you're fly sparging you're pretty much limited to manifold or false bottom. If you batch sparge you can go with a manifold, false bottom, or SS mesh screens.

Yes - adding a valve to an AL pot is very easy. You just need a step bit, a drill, and some cutting oil.

as for adding a ball valve for most "good pots" 304 SS thick wall you want a slow torque drill and step bit and put decent pressure but take your time the bit heats up fast and you need to stop and cool it down then start again, drill from both sides if you can to prevent denting, if you don't do this you'll burn your bit up in 30 minutes

1) depending on how low tech you want to take you mash tun , I'm partial to a colander plus muslin.

Just saw that you plan to fly sparge. Never mind.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

It is difficult and pricey to get a false bottom for a rectangular cooler.

Here's mine, although I simply batch sparge at the moment, fly sparging should work fine too.

Manifold (cpvc) is shown downside up of course.
CPVCManifold_1200_zpsce75c34e.jpg

Pretty much just reiterating the above, but I've gone with a manifold made from CPVC (super easy to build, fast too if you have a bandsaw or similar handy) for my tun and recently added a ball-valve to my SS pot. Just go low and slow on the bit and don't spare on the oil and you'll do fine, best advice I can give is to make sure you'll have a couple steps left on the bit when you hit the size you want, I made the mistake(as my local store was out of the size bit I wanted) of not having any left which made the final step a bit of a trick.

Back