Suggestions for beers to serve non-craft drinkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szap

Reaction score
We are planning a fairly good size get together and plan on having 4 brews on tap. I have a couple dark beers and a wheat ready to brew, but am looking for suggestions for the Bud Light crowd. You know, the ones at the Jamaica resort that will pick a Miller Light over a Red Stripe because the Red Stripe is "too strong". I expect the usual round of "piss in water" responses, but if anyone has brewed a beer that was a hit with this type of beer drinker, I would welcome the suggestions. Cream ale, blonde. any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Can you lager? If so, then the choice seems obvious.

If not, I brew a cream ale that I craft-ify a little more with Kolsch yeast.

Its 80% two-row, 20% Corn. The same crowd you speak of really likes it. The other suggestions are great too. I'll second Centennial Blonde and Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops.

You might also take a look at Yooper's "Fizzy Yellow Beer." I think she keeps the recipe in her drop down. Lot's of folks like that as well.

+1 on the cream ale. Im making my buddy one this summer for plowing my drive so many times while I was at work. Though, I was surprised to see a family friend who helped me replace my water heater pound down so many pints of my Maibock the other night.

I gotta give another vote for the centennial blonde. Nice and light. If they can find something about it they don't like...find new friends. Haha.

American Wheat with Amarillo. Similar to Shock Top but with tons more flavor and a clean yeast. Mine is always a hit with the Blue Moon and Shock Top drinkers.

55% Wheat
45% 2row

20 IBU

Use enough bittering hop to get to 20 IBUs when added to the 5 min addition
1oz Amarillo @5 min

WLP029 (preferred) or WLP001 fermented @65F

This is why I love this site. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I should have mentioned in my original post that I do have the setup to lager, but don't really have the time to do a lager justice before the get together. I have a Belgian White planned for the Blue Moon fans, but am going to look at the other Blue Moon styles recommended. Looks like deciding between the Centennial Blonde and the three crops cream ale.

I'd give them bud light and be done with it. Probably cheaper than what you can brew it for, it will save you time, and it is what they are expecting when they come to your party.

No use busting your hump brewing beer that nobody will like/drink.

I know I'm the contrarian here, but I've been homebrewing long enough to know that the people who are open to new things will most likely try and enjoy your beer...and those who aren't probably wont try and probably won't like it anyway.

I had a cream ale that went over well at my wedding. I dried it out a little bit more with some honey, so it was very crisp. Most people had no problem drinking that or cider. One small group smuggled in their own beer, and I was only slightly offended that they refused to even try the beer I had brewed, but as long as everyone is having a good time, who cares? I would NOT waste your money trying to accommodate these people by purchasing beer for them. They can either drink what you bring, or they can bring their own.

Any type of blonde will do. making a Amarillo/citra blonde for our annual Easter egg party. 1.044 og and 27 ibu. Mash low to keep it dry and crisp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The thought of just buying Bud Light is still a possibility. I just wanted to see what other brewers had tried and what their experience was.

I serve my MGD drinking uncle Cream Ales and he loves them. I've never done the same Cream Ale recipe twice and they've all turned out to be very easy drinking and crisp. Cream of Three Crops is where I started and it was a definite winner. My current favorite is:
Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs                 Pilsner (Avangard) (1.7 SRM)             Grain         4        75.0 %        
1 lbs 12.0 oz         Corn - Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM) Grain         5        21.9 %        
4.0 oz                Amber (Crisp) (27.5 SRM)                 Grain         6        3.1 %         
0.400 oz              Cluster [7.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           7        10.4 IBUs     
0.500 oz              Santiam [5.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           9        3.3 IBUs      
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        10       -             
0.700 oz              Strisslespalt [4.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min    Hop           11       2.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         12       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs
----------------------------
Name               Description                          Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In            Add 12.80 qt of water at 162.1 F     150.0 F       80 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 175.0 F water

The only thing I would suggest to any cream ale recipe you use would be to balance the pH using some lactic acid, or acid malt. Just enough to ensure your pH stays below 6.0. Also, adjust the pilsner amount for your brewhouse efficiency. You can also switch up the 10 and 5 minute hops to use some that you already have or are more easily obtained. You wouldn't do any disservice swapping those out for Saaz (0.75 oz at 10 and 5 min), or going all strisselspalt would be fine as well.

Edit: I should mention you'd want to ferment cool (60F) with nottingham. If you can't control that low then use US05 at 64-68F. The thing is you can get nottingham to flocculate really well if you crash cool it for 3-5 days after fermentation finishes, and it will leave a bright beer. US05 will likely linger cloudy for a couple weeks. Having a really bright/clear cream ale is a sight to behold.

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. I have one more question. If you were hosting a get together and knew you had hardcore Bud Light drinkers, how many would try to brew something they would like and how many would, as Broadbill suggests, just buy some Bud Light?

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. I have one more question. If you were hosting a get together and knew you had hardcore Bud Light drinkers, how many would try to brew something they would like and how many would, as Broadbill suggests, just buy some Bud Light?

At the minimal cost incurred in a cream ale, I would definitely brew something I think they might like. It just gives me another excuse to brew something :D

I would not buy bud light for them, but I wouldn't stop them from bringing or drinking it.

I would brew a blonde or cream ale for that instance. If they don't like it they can go thirsty, but I haven't run into someone yet who didn't enjoy Centennial Blonde. Also had good results with Cream of Three Crops and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

I always "break them in" with BM's Cream of Three Crops. I have had some say they thought I just poured some kinda store bought beer in the keg. It does have that "store bought yet craft in nature" quality

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Let us know what the verdict ends up being...

Let them know what you'll have, if they want to bring BL... well, there's no accounting for taste...
BTW, is there an extract recipe floating around for the three crops? not set up for AG yet...

I try to keep a lager, wheat, or cream ale on tap for guests that want to try my homebrew. But also keep a case of Bud Light in the cold room for my hillbilly in-laws that refuse to try anything else. It's no big deal to me, and they don't notice if I hand them a year old dusty bottle.

We are planning a fairly good size get together and plan on having 4 brews on tap. I have a couple dark beers and a wheat ready to brew, but am looking for suggestions for the Bud Light crowd. You know, the ones at the Jamaica resort that will pick a Miller Light over a Red Stripe because the Red Stripe is "too strong". I expect the usual round of "piss in water" responses, but if anyone has brewed a beer that was a hit with this type of beer drinker, I would welcome the suggestions. Cream ale, blonde. any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

My wife's family is a bunch of Coors light drinking pussies. They can't handle anything else. Most of them do really like the infamous Cream of 3 crops that's in the recipe database. The ones that don't are the ones that refuse to even try anything other than CL.

American wheat beers are good, something like: half barely, half wheat, something clean to bitter, some noble hops at 10, 5, and flame out. Ferment with 1056 or something and mash low. That's a crowd pleaser.

Let them know what you'll have, if they want to bring BL... well, there's no accounting for taste...
BTW, is there an extract recipe floating around for the three crops? not set up for AG yet...

I want to say a few people made a go at an exte act version on the AG tread but I'm not 100% on that. You might want to just do a quick sweep of some of the earlier pages.

I make a blonde that BMC drinkers like and is my favorite of my homebrews. I boil two vanilla beans at 15 minutes and that adds a good character without overwhelming the lighter beer.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

I want to say a few people made a go at an exte act version on the AG tread but I'm not 100% on that. You might want to just do a quick sweep of some of the earlier pages.

Yeah, I've been looking, no luck yet... lol

You could try something like below and it will get you "in the ballpark". The problem, IMO, will be a missing corniness from the flaked corn, but it would still be a very light drinkable cream ale.

Code:
Recipe: Cream Ale ala 3 Crops - Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5 lbs                 LME Pilsen Light (2.3 SRM)               Extract       1        83.3 %        
8.0 oz                Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM)             Extract       2        8.3 %         
8.0 oz                Corn Syrup - Brewers (1.0 SRM)           Sugar         3        8.3 %         
0.500 oz              Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           4        6.8 IBUs      
0.500 oz              Willamette [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           5        10.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         6        -

If I were brewing this, I would add 1 lb pilsen LME and the rice and corn syrup at the beginning of boil. I would save the other 4 lbs of LME for a flameout addition. The key will be getting the freshest pilsen extract you can. The fresher it is the more of the grainy malt pilsen character it will have; the better it will attenuate; and the lighter the final color of the beer will be.

Also, ensure you don't have highly alkaline water otherwise you could end up with a much darker brew than expected. You may be able to add some small amount of lactic acid to your brew water to help ensure it's at least on the right side of the pH scale. A better option would be to use RO water from grocery store and treat yourself to ensure you're at a proper level (soft water with sufficient acidity should work nice).

Be warned, it's likely to come out tasting like a bud :D

Many Thanks St Pug... Although that warning is enough to give one pause....lol

Yeah, I think I would look for a character malt to add a little character to the beer, but it would need to be one that doesn't require mashing otherwise you run the risk of haziness. There seems to be some discrepancy on the requirement of mashing some heavily toasted malts like: biscuit, special roast, victory, amber, etc. If one of those can be used in steeping then I would use a small amount (4 oz for special roast or amber; 6 oz for biscuit or victory). A small 4-6 oz addition of a character malt like this gives just enough variation to bring it out of the bud camp, IMO. I would personally not go with crystal. I've had a cream ale with some amount of crystal and found it very off-putting (my buddies brew and I don't know how much crystal).

Back