suger vs malt extract for botteling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
I am a very novice brewer with only 7 batches under my belt. Ive talked to a lot of people and get mixed reviews. can anyone give me there ideas on botteling with suger or malt extract as a primer. any advice is welcome.

The priming calculators usually tell you ro use more table sygar than corn sugar. But it does work just fine.

I think you have that backwards. The calculators will show that you need slightly MORE corn sugar than table sugar and you need about twice as much (by weight) DME.

I had a feeling after I hit submit that I might've reversed that one. My old brain I gues...need coffee. Mr coffee took a dump.
Anyway,I've even mixed table & corn sugar in a pinch & it worked great. And use a scale to weight the sugar out. The amounts in the priming calculators are by weight.

I believe the question was DME versus sugar not Dextrose versus Sucrose.

All can be used including honey. It's generally agreed that dextrose is the proper priming sugar to use. Doesn't mean you have to use it. The volume you're using in a 5 gal batch compared to what was fermented is insignificant to worry about what it will do to flavor.

Beersmith calculates DME to be 65% effective and Sucrose (table sugar) to be 109% effective compared to Dextrose (corn sugar).

I suspect though that dextrose is still the preferred fermentable to prime with because it has the most neutral effect. Fermented table sugar on its own has a less desirable flavor.

I suspect though that dextrose is still the preferred fermentable to prime with because it has the most neutral effect. Fermented table sugar on its own has a less desirable flavor.

Not in my experience. I've never been able to discern a difference between beers carbed with DME, table sugar, or corn sugar. None at all. I think it's because it's such a tiny amount and fermented out so that there isn't any flavor impact.

I've read DME gives a creamier head, but takes a bit longer (week or two more) to carbonate

Any input? I am thinking of trying DME in a nut brown I am brewing this weekend.

I've read DME gives a creamier head, but takes a bit longer (week or two more) to carbonate

Any input? I am thinking of trying DME in a nut brown I am brewing this weekend.

Yes, it takes a bit longer but after that I didn't think there was any difference at all, except for maybe a tiny bit more trub in the bottles.

Latest posts

Back