Sugar substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmiddleton

Reaction score
I'm planning a brew day tomorrow (the weather's supposed to be decent, for a change!), and the recipe I'm using calls for 8 oz of Dark Muscovado sugar.

Unfortunately, I can't find any in town, and really don't want to put of brew day while I wait for shipping (already bought everything else, including crushed malt - don't have my own gear for that yet).

Based on what I've been reading, the flavour profile is similar to Dark Belgian Candi, so I picked up a packet. Am I nuts to try swapping these sugars? If not, is 1:1 ok?

I don't think a belgian dark candy/i sugar/syrup would be in the same flavor profile as muscovado sugar. You would be better off using some brown sugar with a little (quality) molasses mixed in.

There are lots of different names for sugars like muscovado and perhaps you can find one of those nearby. According to the single-most authoritative site in the entire world of information (extreme sarcasm) - wikipedia - these are some other names: panela, rapadura, chancaca, piloncillo, muscovado, panocha, kokuto, and jaggery. Finally, one other name for a sugar of similar production by a company called Wholesome is 'sucanat'.

Hope this helps.

Back