Sugar Plum Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
I have a mead going now with sugar plums. (not the candies but from the fruit aisle). However, when I try to search for them as a type of plum, I can't get much. Does anyone know what type a sugarplum is or anything about them? do they have more sugar than other plums or some other noticeable difference? Where do they grow?

These were about the size and shape of chicken eggs and tasted sweeter than other store bought plums but were also a little different texture.

I had seen people on here reference they have a lot of experience with different fruits in terms of growing, so I figured someone here might know.

Were they a sort of dusty blue? Did the stone come free of the fruit easily? If so it was a freestone variety. Most likely either Italian prune plums, or Stanley plums, as those are the most common in US stores, though it could also be a "Sugar Prune". Have a look at the link, scroll all the way to the bottom to see "Sugar Prune."
http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/plumPrune.html

Maybe you'll recognize the variety from the various pics of the varietal fruit. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Yes, the sugar prune pick looks like it at the bottom of gratus' link.

The description in the mountlassen link sounds like them too - just a little different color and shape. Guess the mountlassen ones are a similar variety of sugar prune. I could only find mine in late July the past 2 summers.

So I guess I have a sugear prune mead. Still going to call it a sugar plum mead - something about that sounds more enjoyable.

knew the people here were knowledgeable.

On a side note, my Abv value may be noticeably higher than expected. Prunes have a lot of sugar compare to plums. I thought my mead worked out to about 16.5% but looking at the gotmead calculator it may be closer to 18.5-19%. That surprises me since I used Cote de Blanc yeast which usually rates at about 14-15%. Must have been really happy yeast.

Luckily it had been stable before I racked it onto chocolate (and brandy). Though there was probably not much left in the yeast. Either way, this will be spending a long time in a carboy.

Latest posts

Back