Sugar content in cider vs mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jitza

Reaction score
So I've made both turbo cider (tramp juice) and am currently making mead. I noticed that using 4L of concentrate apple juice means ~400g sugar to ferment whereas for mead, using about 1500g honey (recommended online) provides ~1100g sugar in the gallon.

Should I be adding sugar to my tramp juice or is the copious amount of sugar in the honey not actually affecting the booze content. I'm using the standard wine yeast you can get at wilko.

The potential amount of alcohol is dependent on the amount of sugar present in the fermenter but is moderated by the ability of the yeast to "eat" it. Your mead may have so much sugar that the yeast cannot eat it all and you would end up with a sweet mead. I add sugar to the concentrated grape juice when I make wine, the amount added determines whether it all ferments out and creates a dry wine or if too much I get a sweet wine.

The potential amount of alcohol is dependent on the amount of sugar present in the fermenter but is moderated by the ability of the yeast to "eat" it. Your mead may have so much sugar that the yeast cannot eat it all and you would end up with a sweet mead. I add sugar to the concentrated grape juice when I make wine, the amount added determines whether it all ferments out and creates a dry wine or if too much I get a sweet wine.
Thanks for your response! Can I ask how much sugar you usually add to your grape juice? :)

Back