Sudden violent blow-off. Ever happen to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I brewed the Bee Cave Hefe recipe posted by EdWort and everything went well with all the targets hit exactly, except SG was at 1.051 instead of 52. I made a 800 ml starter with WLP 300 and pitched it at 68 degrees into 5.25 gallons of wort in a better bottle. I use a chest freezer, beer heater wrap, and a 2 stage Ranco for temp control, which I set to 62 degrees.

About 24 hours after pitching, the wort is sitting at 62 degrees and showing no sign of fermentation. No bubbles or foam on top of the wort, and no visible movement inside, so I'm thinking that's odd for this yeast considering past experience with it has resulted in blow off in 12 hours every time.

So I reach into the chest freezer and give the carboy a gentle swirl, just to "rouse the yeast a bit." Then... WHOOOSH! Literally within one second so much CO2 came out of suspension that foam immediately filled the carboy, blew off into the growler I use, overflowed the growler, and then had so much pressure from the foam that it popped the entire blow-off assembly off the top of the carboy. :eek:

I stood there for a moment thinking "Well, I've never seen that before." SO I put the blow-off assembly back on the carboy, closed the freezer and went to work. I'll have a mess to clean up in there in about 9 more days when I take out the carboy for kegging.

Has anybody else ever had this "zero to holy-crap" sudden blow off before? Any idea why this happens or why there was no sign of fermentation until I gave it a swirl?

That sounds like the co2 was supersaturated in solution, and all came out at on e. Very unusual. Your carboy must be exceptionally clean, with few nucleation sites, and very little vibration.

Back