substitute for malted oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
I'm trying to clone a karameliet tripple. 5 gallons. It calls for 1.5 lbs of malted oats. Can't find malted oats. Should I use flakes oats? Roast them a bit? I also read that flaked barley is a good substitute. My recipe already has 1.5 lbs of flaked barley. Would I end up with too much?

I've used the old fashioned quaker oats. Just put them in the oven to toast for about 15 minutes or so at 400 degrees.

Malted oats are tough to replace. They add a touch of sweetness that doesn't ferment out (I use them in a saison recipe specifically because of this). If you sub flaked oats, I would also add 10% of the subbed weight as C20 or similar to keep that slight sweetness. I've never tried this as a substitution, but if I had to sub this is what I would do.

dwarven_stout said:
Malted oats are tough to replace. They add a touch of sweetness that doesn't ferment out (I use them in a saison recipe specifically because of this). If you sub flaked oats, I would also add 10% of the subbed weight as C20 or similar to keep that slight sweetness. I've never tried this as a substitution, but if I had to sub this is what I would do.

Could one add a bit of honey malt to get the sweetness?

Update: I believe I found some malted oats at northernbrewer.com. I called to verify and the gentleman told me that he was "pretty sure" they were malted. I went ahead and ordered anyway. We'll see what I end up with.

I assume those are Simpson's Golden Naked Oats. I tried checking Simpson's site also to confirm if those were malted or not. Still don't know. Used them anyways together with some rye, wheat, and a pils base for a Saison. Still conditioning.

Latest posts

Back