Submitting hefe for competition (ingredients question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Hi folks,

There's a competition coming up in my city that I've been looking forward to. I brewed an awesome DIPA (a Heady Topper variation) that I will be submitting. I also recently brewed 10 gallons of a hefe (Crop Circle Wheat clone) that my brother-in-law asked for as his 30th birthday present. I never thought about it, but it also turned out fantastic, and I'm thinking about submitting that as well. The problem: I used 2-row instead of Pilsner malt, so it's not a traditional German hefe. Should I even bother submitting?

It was:

60% Wheat
35% 2-row
2.5% Carapils
2.5% Munich
1.5 oz Hallertauer - 60 minutes
Wyeast 3068

I mashed high and it came out at 5.3%.

I would be more worried about the carapils than the 2 row. The hops seem kind of heavy handed as well.

I don't have a ton of experience, but I'm guessing that it won't matter as much since it's only 1.3 of the grain bill. If it tastes good, give it a shot.

I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of the flavor should come from the yeast and wheat.. I'm assuming that the IBUs are around 10ish?

no, the pils/2-row swap is nearly meaningless. the hops seem high for a hefe though

If it tastes like a hefe then you should submit it as such. I mean a lager took home gold for the cream ale category at gabf this year for crying out loud. I am betting no judge will taste such a minor substitution.

Dont worry about it. Most of the time they dont ask for the ingredients, just has to taste like the category you placed it in. Good luck!

Submit it. It would be interesting to see if any judges pick it out.

Latest posts

Back