Styles Well Suited to Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcoote

Reaction score
I've got a tiny kitchen and no yard. This is a problem because I've always been an all-grain brewer. Now I'm limited to all-grain brewing whenever I can use my friend's set up. So, in order to allow myself to brew more often, I'm thinking about splitting my time between extract and all-grain.

My question here is this: Are there any styles that lend themselves particularly well to extract brewing?

For example, I would imagine that a Maibock with its malt focus and decoction mash would be much better done all grain, whereas something like an IPA with a high ABV and hops focus could taste just as good using extract as any all grain recipe (keep in mind though I'm not much of an IPA drinker).

Thoughts?

A maibock does not need a decoction mash. Actually, because it's mainly base malt, it's a good candidate for extract. As is a tripel, which would just be extract and sugar. Always use the lightest colored dry extract you can find.

I've got a tiny kitchen and no yard. This is a problem because I've always been an all-grain brewer. Now I'm limited to all-grain brewing whenever I can use my friend's set up. So, in order to allow myself to brew more often, I'm thinking about splitting my time between extract and all-grain.

My question here is this: Are there any styles that lend themselves particularly well to extract brewing?

For example, I would imagine that a Maibock with its malt focus and decoction mash would be much better done all grain, whereas something like an IPA with a high ABV and hops focus could taste just as good using extract as any all grain recipe (keep in mind though I'm not much of an IPA drinker).

Thoughts?

Have you considered BIAB. I do my batches right in my kitchen, usually smaller batches but sometimes a 5 gallon batch. Combine that with no-chill and kitchen brewing is a snap.

I do also do a good number of one gallon all grain batches in my kitchen, but I'm thinking for 5 gallons (mostly because it's going to take my stove about 1 hour to get 6.5 gallons to boil) it would be easiest to do extract/partial mash.

Back