Style suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew a beer for my birthday (July 2) as well as Independence day. I was thinking it would be an Independence Ale or something like that. What style beer do people think would be most appropriate for this occasion? I was thinking about a California Common, but am open to most anything, as long as it will be good to drink by the pool. Thanks.

I would suggest something along the lines of an American pale ale like a Sierra Nevada.

For summer, I am partial to an IPA/APA, Kolsch, or cream ale.

nice light ipa or apa...i always liked the centennial/amarillo/cascade/simcoe varieties...nice citrus notes for a hot day!

How about a Fourth of July Cream Ale? A cream ale is 100% American and is a great summer beer.

Type: Mixed
Category Number: 6A
Original Gravity: 1.042-1.055 SG
Color: 2.5-5.0 SRM
Final Gravity: 1.006-1.012 SG Bitterness: 15.0-20.0 IBU
Carbonation: 2.6-2.7 vols Alcohol by Volume: 4.20-5.60 %
Description: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.html#1a
A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American lawnmower beer. An ale version of the American lager style. Produced by ale brewers to compete with lager brewers in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States. Originally known as sparkling or present use ales, lager strains were (and sometimes still are) used by some brewers
Profile: Clean with low hop flavor and aroma. Faint malt notes. Light bodied, high carbonation. Little malt flavor. Pale straw to moderate gold color. Low fruitiness, no diacytl.
Ingredients: American ingredients most commonly used. A grain bill of six-row malt, or a combination of six-row and North American two-row, is common. Adjuncts can include up to 20% flaked maize in the mash, and up to 20% glucose or other sugars in the boil. Soft
Examples: Genesee Cream Ale, Little Kings Cream Ale (Hudepohl), Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema, Sleeman Cream Ale, New Glarus Spotted Cow, Wisconsin Brewing Whitetail Cream Ale

Thanks for the quick feedback so far. I should have mentioned that I recently brewed a Kolsch and an IPA/APA so I would like to branch out to a new style if possible. So far, the cream ale idea is at the top of the list. Keep them coming.

american wheat is pretty refreshing...i've had success using wyeast 1318...less tangy dry...s05 is pretty good, too

Latest posts

Back