Stupid question of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
When homebrewers and recipes refer to "Whirlpool" hop additions does that imply they are actually using a pump to whirlpool the wort? Is the whirlpool itself important to the hop addition or is it just referring to the time (flameout, post boil) when the addition is made?

I understand that commercial brewers take a while to whirlpool a larger amount of beer but a big spoon could be whirlpooling 5 gallons.

Pump, Spoon it's all the same. The whirlpool itself is more to aid congregation of hot break into a pile in the middle of the kettle. At some point folks just tried adding hops at the same time for extra punch.

To me, "whirlpool" and "hop stand" are synonymous: they're both an addition between flameout and cooling. For accuracy and repeatably of the procedure/recipe, they should both indicate how long the wort is held at temperature, while contacting the hop addition, before cooling.

I cool wort to 80C and dump the flavour hops in then for an hour so - give a good stir

I read a lot of different approaches on it and temps - but this seems to work for me - although I'm not a hop freak as much as I was - so don't dryhop - but I do chuck 100 or 200g in at the end still

I do not use a pump, but I first cool down my wort to 70C/158F and then throw in the whirlpool hops. I then take my stainless steel paddle and gently create a whirlpool for a few seconds, without splashing too much. I take the paddle out and let the wort rest for 5-10 minutes, at which point I repeat the whirlpool 2-3 times. Before transferring to the fermenter, the wort gets to rest for at least 10 minutes straight. This, coupled with the low temp. in the kettle, will help settling the trub at the bottom, in a nicely compact cake. This makes the transfer a breeze and you will get a whole lot less trub in the fermenter.

I do not use a pump, but I first cool down my wort to 70C/158F and then throw in the whirlpool hops. I then take my stainless steel paddle and gently create a whirlpool for a few seconds, without splashing too much. I take the paddle out and let the wort rest for 5-10 minutes, at which point I repeat the whirlpool 2-3 times. Before transferring to the fermenter, the wort gets to rest for at least 10 minutes straight. This, coupled with the low temp. in the kettle, will help settling the trub at the bottom, in a nicely compact cake. This makes the transfer a breeze and you will get a whole lot less trub in the fermenter.

Do you use an immersion chiller? The reason I ask is I'm trying to improve the logistics of my brewing at flameout thru chilling and hop additions and creating a whirlpool. My IC goes in the kettle with about 10-15 min left in the boil. At flameout I don't immediately start the chiller but just let the temp fall to 180 then toss in some hops. After 10-20 minutes I start chilling. I don't remove the chiller until I'm in the high 60's. Remove chiller then whirlpool for 5 minutes in an attempt to settle the trub although I'm in the Brulosophy camp of not sweating some trub in fermenter.

Can hops be added when the wort is chilled to mid 60's? That is when I start a whirlpool.

I have a Grainfather Connect, so I use the included copper counterflow chiller. What I do is: 10 minutes before end of boil, I sanitize the chiller by running boiling wort through it. Once the boil is over, I turn off the heat/element and immediately start running cold ( well ) water through my chiller, while the wort is still recirculating from the kettle through the counterflow chiller. This brings the temperature down pretty quickly ( at this point, I have around 27-28 liters / 7.1-7.4 liters of wort in the kettle | depends on the recipe and boil time ).

When I reach my desired temperature, I throw in the hops and let them steep, by following the steps described in my latest reply above. The hops get around 25-30 minutes of contact time - it's important for me to perform a few manual whirlpools with my paddle during these 30 minutes, as I do not have a pump to create a continous whirlpool action. This is needed to get the hops resuspended, as they will surely settle at the bottom.

I think at 180F you will still extract a bit of bitterness from the hops, but I am unsure. If it is, then it's minimal and should not be a concern. There are numerous experiments done around whirlpool temperature, which you can find and read. I think I read 120F is a good temperature to get some more aromas and flavours, although anything around 140-160F will do just fine. I am happy with it anyway.

Regarding throwing in hops at 60F: that's kinda cold, but I have no definitive answer. I think you need a lot of contact time at this temp to get some flavours out of the hops. I really could not begin to speculate about it. Maybe there is an experiment there. 60F is also pretty low as a dry hop temperature. Dry hop works best at slightly higher temps, like 68-72F.

I think at 180F you will still extract a bit of bitterness from the hops, but I am unsure. If it is, then it's minimal and should not be a concern. There are numerous experiments done around whirlpool temperature, which you can find and read. I think I read 120F is a good temperature to get some more aromas and flavours, although anything around 140-160F will do just fine. I am happy with it anyway.

I've done some small 2 gallon test batches where I only added hops at 180 and 140 and bitterness is definitely extracted. Not the same as full boil but definitely there. One batch I used cryo hops at 50% reduced amounts for the batch size and at lower temps (180, 140 only). I got good bitterness with hop flavor and a greatly reduced hop trub.

Thanks for the info on your system

Do you use an immersion chiller? The reason I ask is I'm trying to improve the logistics of my brewing at flameout thru chilling and hop additions and creating a whirlpool. My IC goes in the kettle with about 10-15 min left in the boil. At flameout I don't immediately start the chiller but just let the temp fall to 180 then toss in some hops. After 10-20 minutes I start chilling. I don't remove the chiller until I'm in the high 60's. Remove chiller then whirlpool for 5 minutes in an attempt to settle the trub although I'm in the Brulosophy camp of not sweating some trub in fermenter.

Can hops be added when the wort is chilled to mid 60's? That is when I start a whirlpool.

I would not add hops with temps at mid-60's. The temperature and duration are infinitely more important than an actual whirlpool. People use the term WP differently with respect to temp, but I diferentiate between FO additions at WP additions. I frequently add hops at both points. Add at FO, wait 5 mins then turn on the chiller until I hit 170, stop the water to the chiller and add WP hops. I let those steep for 20-30 minutes, then resume chilling to pitching temps (mid-60's). I have my pump running to whirlpool the whole time, but I only consider the 170 degee addition as a WP addition...again, for me it's a temp thing, not the fact that the pump is running. For that matter, I have the pump running from 15 mins to zero, but that doesn't make my 5 minute addition a WP addition either.

The reason I say don't add with temps at the 60's is two fold. First, it's not really different than a dry hop except for (second) - unfermented wort is high risk for infection. Dumping in hops into fermented beer has alchohol that reduces risk of infection. Pre-fermentation, you're taking a risk for little benefit.

In general consider hop addition effects as a spectrum from pretty much all bittering at 60 minute boil to mostly aroma for a dry hop. In between is transitions to less bittering and more flavor, then more flavor and aroma, then on to mostly aroma.

So late boil and FO are what I consider my flavor additions...they add some bittering, but not much and add a lot of flavor. WP additions are flavor and aroma with almost no bittering in the traditional sense (isomerization).

Decide on your bitter/flavor/aroma profile and add hops to reach that. For example, my first IPAs were just 60 min and DH additions. I wanted more flavor but the same IBU, so I cut the 60 minute out completely and and used sizeable additions at 5 mins, FO and WP along with the DH. Since the utilization is so much less at 5 mins and FO, I coulld add more, get more flavor since they were boiled less, and still be at the same IBU level. Worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back