Stupid mistake during brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
None of us should take ourselves that seriously. We all do stupid things, nearly everyday.
This incident was so stupid, I have to share.

I recently added a RIMS tube to my brew system. This was only my second brew day on this piece of equipment. Everything was going as normal, at first. Heated my strike water in the boil kettle, transferred to the mash tun, doughed in, then got the RIMS pump going.
As the temp continued to rise, I flipped the off switch to the tube. The temp kept climbing. Thinking I had an electrical issue, I got the mash to 150F, then started troubleshooting my RIMS controller.
After nearly an hour and half of going through all the connections, testing with a meter, and changing the SSR, I realized...

Wait for it...

I was plugging the damn tube into the wall outlet, not my controller outlet!

I don't know what's worse, plugging the tube into the wall, or taking an hour and half to realize what I was doing. It wasn't like I only plugged the tube in once or twice. I kept doing it, over and over, thinking I had a controller issue. OMG!

So stupid, so frustrating, yet sooo funny now.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better I was making a NB Kit this weekend the Brut IPA and forgot to add the enzyme to the mash after 60 min so I ended up double mashing for a full 120 minutes it really dragged my day out lost the same hour you did for a 2 second mistake just like you but oh well it happens

Latest posts

Back