Stupid Inaccurate Thermometers!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
My last 3 batches have turned out very poorly -- and I think I've discovered why. A while back I found that my floating thermometer had broken, so I had to use a digital thermometer instead.

Even though I had checked the digital against boiling water and in the freezer, I still didn't trust it, but I had no option. Since then I acquired 2 new thermometers, and -- compared to them -- it reads high by about 9 degrees in the mash temperature zone, which means I mashed way too low, ruining my starch-to-sugar conversion and changing the profile of the beer. (These were beers I have successfully brewed before -- with the floating thermometer.)

It's enough to piss off the Good Humor Man, and I'm not the Good Humor Man!

The take away is: check your thermometers and have reliable backups.

I use this one and love it!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XS7WTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use it for both my BBQ and for brewing. It has an infrared built in, which reads within 1* of the probe. When I want to check the fermentation temp on my carboy, I don't have to pull the bung off, worry about sanitizing, worry about oxidizing, or worry about adding a contaminate. I just use the infrared...it's the sh@t!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use thermapen and just ordered the chef's alarm (timer and thermometer in one unit).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The "Stupid inaccurate thermometers" sentiment and messed up batches is exactly why I got my Thermapen. Worth every penny.

Another vote for Thermapen. After I got it I wondered why I waited so long to get one.

I use it just as much in the kitchen when I am cooking. Great device.

I bought my Thermapen for smoking, but it's more important for brewing.

And it has completely eliminated all my fears about grilling fish. It makes it SO easy to keep a close eye on the fish's internal temp and it prevents me from over- or under-cooking it.

Back