Stumped on controller/wiring HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I have FINALLY finished my Brutus style setup and now its time to build the control panel. I have decided my enclosure will be an old Fender amp head. (had to throw that out there)... Anyways, heres the problem. My valves are Honeywell furnace valves that run on 24VAC and I can't find a PID controller that uses the same voltage. I have a couple steep down transformers (120 to 24) but I don't know how to wire in the PIDs or even which ones to buy! Has anyone done this or anyone have any suggestions that may help me out. Basically I plan on using Lonnie's wiring schematic but replacing the LOVE controllers with PID controllers and the ASCO valves with my Honeywell valves. Like I said, I don't know which PIDs to buy, how to wire the Honeywell valves or where to put the transformers. I'll gladly take suggestions on all three or even one of these things. Please help me you guys!

Hi

There is no need to power the PID's from the same supply as the furnace valves. Get some Auber's that are powered off of 110VAC. The relay contacts on the PID's will switch the 24VAC out of your control transformer to the furnace valves just fine.

There's nothing magic about the Auber's in this respect. Pretty much any relay output PID will do the trick. The only thing to avoid are PID's designed to drive solid state relays. You can use them, but why? They add complexity (the solid state relays) without really improving anything.

Bob

Thanks bob, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose I'm just going crazy about this because I want to be sure not to screw up and destroy any of my electronic parts hah.

Bob I just brewed a batch of beer to take to the All GM carshow in your town. Thought you should know.

Back